This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OpenPlotter 4 roadmap
When trying to install: 

"2023-12-29-OpenPlotter-v4-Headless-beta-64bit-img.zip"

on rasberry pi 5 i get the following error message in the pi imager when trying to write to SD card:

"input file is not a valid disk image. File size 2093971571 bytes is not a multiple of 512 bites"

Should I just try to write open plotter 3 to boot pi 5 from, will that still work?

thanks!
that sounds like a corrupted image.

use latest version of rpi-imager and change the SD if the error persists.

openplotter v3 does not work in RPi 5.
(2024-03-26, 08:24 PM)Hakan Wrote:
(2024-03-26, 11:03 AM)Sailoog Wrote:
(2024-03-26, 10:36 AM)Hakan Wrote: About the SignalK (npm) update issue reported here: https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread....6#pid29066
I have created a new image, on a 32 GB SD card, using "2023-12-29-OpenPlotter-v4-Starting-beta-64bit-img" created by "Raspberry Pi imager" on a Rpi.
On the new image I changed localization settings like Timezone(ETC+1), keyboard (SE), wifi country(SE) and nothing more.
I also updated the system by "update" and "full-upgrade"
The I ran "Signal k Installer" and got the same result as before. Each update attempt, e.g.: "npm GET 200 https://registry.npmjs.org/socket.io.parser", is timed out as before.

Any advices what to test next?

/Håkan

I will try to reproduce that.
On the same RPi5 but a Raspberry image I tried to install SignalK
Method used:
1. In RPi inbound program installer I installed nodejs and npm.
2. sudo npm install -g npm@latest >> Works fine. Some files updated.
3. sudo apt install libnss-mdns avahi-utils libavahi-compat-libdnssd-dev -y >> All was already installed.
4. sudo npm install -g --unsafe-perm signalk-server -y  >> Worked.
5. Then I could setup and start SignalK wo problem

On the Openplotter image:
1. nodejs was installed. npm not, so I selected that and Apply.
2. Didn't worked. The command was "swallowed" but nothing happened. I'd to close the hanged terminal.
3. All deps. was already installed.
4. Didn't worked.

Next step on the RPi5 by image Raspberry_pi for info:
Since SignalK is up and running I tested to install Openplotter
Following the valuable advises on "https://github.com/openplotter/openplotter-settings" I installed "openplotter-settings_4.0.67-beta_all"
The dependents was first installed. I though had to make "fix-broken.." for the keyboard deps. before it worked.
Then openplotter settings was installed and I could from there install Serials and use that to add a USB to SignalK. (Auto Add didn't worked though)
And--- not less: When installing SignalK installer all was performed successfully in a few minutes!
Håkan,

I am not able to reproduce your issue, this is what I have done:

- Created a 16GB SD using "2023-12-29-OpenPlotter-v4-Starting-beta-64bit-img" and rpi-imager.
- After booting first time, I set the localization settings (timezone, language, keyboard and wifi country) in menu-preferences-raspberry configuration and reboot.
- After booting I ran "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt full-upgrade" in a terminal and reboot.
- After booting I opened "Signal K Installer" from menu-openplotter and the window of pending tasks opens. After clicking Start, Signal k is updated to latest version and everything works OK.

I do not know what is going on in your system. No one reported the same issue, so we can not find a pattern. Some ideas:

- Update rpi-imager.
- Try without applying localization settings.
- Try another SD.
- Try to do exactly the steps I did.
(2024-03-29, 11:44 AM)Sailoog Wrote: Håkan,

I am not able to reproduce your issue, this is what I have done:

- Created a 16GB SD using "2023-12-29-OpenPlotter-v4-Starting-beta-64bit-img" and rpi-imager.
- After booting first time, I set the localization settings (timezone, language, keyboard and wifi country) in menu-preferences-raspberry configuration and reboot.
- After booting I ran "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt full-upgrade" in a terminal and reboot.
- After booting I opened "Signal K Installer" from menu-openplotter and the window of pending tasks opens. After clicking Start, Signal k is updated to latest version and everything works OK.

I do not know what is going on in your system. No one reported the same issue, so we can not find a pattern. Some ideas:

- Update rpi-imager.
- Try without applying localization settings.
- Try another SD.
- Try to do exactly the steps I did.

Thanks for your tries to reproduce it.
I've done it all according to your steps above.
The Rpi manager was already updated. I can of course try another SD and without any localization for a try.
For the moment I use another SD where I manually installed SignalK and openplotter-settings from CS. It run wo obstacles except the vcn-keyboard dept from your Github. It had to be replaced during install. But the system's inbound fix was able to install a correct one for my system.
Hey all, I've made some minor configuration changes to make OpenPlotter 4.0b1 work using Hat Labs' new HALPI-CM4 pre-assembled Raspberry Pi computers. The repo is available here: https://github.com/hatlabs/openplotter-pi-gen

Most of the changes are simple hardware configurations but there are a couple of bugfixes as well. In particular, the repo is manually rebased against upstream `pi-gen` and Raspberry Pi Imager customizations work again. Furthermore, I modified the network settings to enable a virtual WiFi interface to allow simultaneous AP and client functionality.

Pre-built images aren't yet available but I hope to include a GitHub Action soon that will automatically build them.
(2024-03-26, 08:46 PM)Atari Wrote: When trying to install: 

"2023-12-29-OpenPlotter-v4-Headless-beta-64bit-img.zip"

on rasberry pi 5 i get the following error message in the pi imager when trying to write to SD card:

"input file is not a valid disk image. File size 2093971571 bytes is not a multiple of 512 bites"

Should I just try to write open plotter 3 to boot pi 5 from, will that still work?

thanks!

I had the same error, after simply unzipping the downloaded file, you can write the resulting file to your sd/ssd, apparently the automatic unzipping in imager does not work here.
(2024-03-29, 02:22 PM)mairas Wrote: Hey all, I've made some minor configuration changes to make OpenPlotter 4.0b1 work using Hat Labs' new HALPI-CM4 pre-assembled Raspberry Pi computers. The repo is available here: https://github.com/hatlabs/openplotter-pi-gen

Most of the changes are simple hardware configurations but there are a couple of bugfixes as well. In particular, the repo is manually rebased against upstream `pi-gen` and Raspberry Pi Imager customizations work again. Furthermore, I modified the network settings to enable a virtual WiFi interface to allow simultaneous AP and client functionality.

Pre-built images aren't yet available but I hope to include a GitHub Action soon that will automatically build them.

Remember that if you are basing your image on openplotter-gen, do not go to production yet because many changes still need to be implemented, including the latest changes in pi-gen.
Regarding the withdrawn OpenPlotter Network app:

That made it super easy to connect as a WiFi client (marina or phone) and provide a local hotspot simultaneously. I cannot figure out how to do the same with just the built-in facilities. All instructions I see online require extra scripts or even compile code. My worry is that those methods integrate less smoothly with the system than the OP network app did. (I hope my admiration is obvious now.)

Any instructions I didn't see or other recommendations?
(2024-03-30, 10:32 AM)tsr Wrote: Regarding the withdrawn OpenPlotter Network app:

That made it super easy to connect as a WiFi client (marina or phone) and provide a local hotspot simultaneously. I cannot figure out how to do the same with just the built-in facilities. All instructions I see online require extra scripts or even compile code. My worry is that those methods integrate less smoothly with the system than the OP network app did. (I hope my admiration is obvious now.)

Any instructions I didn't see or other recommendations?

I now tether the mobile with USB