This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OpenPlotter 4 roadmap
(2024-01-02, 03:28 PM)kristoe Wrote:
(2024-01-02, 12:58 PM)Sailoog Wrote:
(2024-01-02, 12:52 PM)kristoe Wrote: Hi

will the touchscreen edition allow for 2 finger zoom and long press for right click?

K

long press for right click OK
2 finger zoom, install opencpn from flatpak instead debian backports

Isnt that abit odd to have to do that?

OpenCPN can not be pre-installed in the image from flatpak, you need to install it when the system is up and running. OpenCPN from debian backports can be pre-installed in the image without problem.
A very impressive start on the road to Pi5 migration.

A couple of early observations in case others who are more knowledgeable can replicate or solve what I'm seeing.

1.  In headless mode the VNC runs really (unusably) slow.  The Pi4 solution of commenting out two lines in the /boot/config.txt file

#dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
#max_framebuffers=2

causes no image to be presented by VNC on the Pi5.

2.  SignalK seems a little unstable.  I have a a pretty KIP dashboard which is solid on the Pi4 (not disconnects/reconnects) but is constantly glitching on the Pi5.

Currently testing on the bench but hope to get the Pi5 connected to some real data, afloat later this week.
Running "2023-12-29-OpenPlotter-v4-Starting-beta-64bit-img" on Raspberry Pi 5 4Gb

I had an initial issue with the Pi only where, HDMI output would not show anything - this is not a OP issue, it would not show anything, even with no SD card.  I connected both HDMI outputs to the same TV and it worked - Could be a power or connector issue, but not a OP issue

I setup a Globalsat BU-353 USB GPS unit.  It was detected by OP Serial App and I give it the alias "gps" and set data to "NMEA0183", press apply and the line went green.  in the connection tab I linked it to Signal K and set the baud rate to 4800 and pressed auto, everything worked as described in the Docs.

I added the plugin "SignalK-Rpi-Monitor" to Signal K

I added charts to OpenCPN and Plotted a course, OpenCPN feels faster than RPi4 when panning and zooming, no issues here at all.

I setup Kip to monitor various items including the Pi temps and Memory usage.  KIP is fast and fluid, did not see any disconnects

With Youtube running 1080P, OpenCPN, KIP, SignalK all running we see Memory usage of <50% (so 2Gb), CPU peaking around 75%, but mostly less than 50%.  GPU is about 10% less than the CPU.

Temperature with no Cooling hit 85C quite quickly, I will be adding at least a heatsink case and possibly some fans.
(2024-01-03, 12:05 AM)SVKitten Wrote: A very impressive start on the road to Pi5 migration.

A couple of early observations in case others who are more knowledgeable can replicate or solve what I'm seeing.

1.  In headless mode the VNC runs really (unusably) slow.  The Pi4 solution of commenting out two lines in the /boot/config.txt file

#dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
#max_framebuffers=2

2.  SignalK seems a little unstable.  I have a a pretty KIP dashboard which is solid on the Pi4 (not disconnects/reconnects) but is constantly glitching on the Pi5.

Currently testing on the bench but hope to get the Pi5 connected to some real data, afloat later this week.

Are you using Wayland or X11 server? and client?
I am using RealVNC Viewer 7.8.0 client in Ubuntu and works really well for both Wayland and X11 servers.
You should not edit /boot/config.txt at all.

No problem here. Try real data and report please.
(2024-01-03, 03:52 AM)Techstyle Wrote: Running "2023-12-29-OpenPlotter-v4-Starting-beta-64bit-img" on Raspberry Pi 5 4Gb

I had an initial issue with the Pi only where, HDMI output would not show anything - this is not a OP issue, it would not show anything, even with no SD card.  I connected both HDMI outputs to the same TV and it worked - Could be a power or connector issue, but not a OP issue

I setup a Globalsat BU-353 USB GPS unit.  It was detected by OP Serial App and I give it the alias "gps" and set data to "NMEA0183", press apply and the line went green.  in the connection tab I linked it to Signal K and set the baud rate to 4800 and pressed auto, everything worked as described in the Docs.

I added the plugin "SignalK-Rpi-Monitor" to Signal K

I added charts to OpenCPN and Plotted a course, OpenCPN feels faster than RPi4 when panning and zooming, no issues here at all.

I setup Kip to monitor various items including the Pi temps and Memory usage.  KIP is fast and fluid, did not see any disconnects

With Youtube running 1080P, OpenCPN, KIP, SignalK all running we see Memory usage of <50% (so 2Gb), CPU peaking around 75%, but mostly less than 50%.  GPU is about 10% less than the CPU.

Temperature with no Cooling hit 85C quite quickly, I will be adding at least a heatsink case and possibly some fans.

thanks!
(2024-01-03, 02:00 PM)Sailoog Wrote:
(2024-01-03, 12:05 AM)SVKitten Wrote: A very impressive start on the road to Pi5 migration.

#dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
#max_framebuffers=2

I am using RealVNC Viewer 7.8.0 client in Ubuntu and works really well for both Wayland and X11 servers.

Using the headless image linked from the top of this thread.  Works fine through VNC with an HDMI plugged in but not when properly headless.

Using RealVNC on WIn11 v6.2 so I can update that. 

Pi5 using X11 as default in the image.  Agree on the config.txt but it did cure the same problem on the Pi4.

So it seems that Chromium is the cause of the slow response of SignalK in headless mode.  Firefox runs just fine.

Will keep testing and try to iron out the wrinkles.
Quote:12. OpenPlotter AvNav installer app

@Sailoog
openplotter-avnav is now available for bookworm/openplotter over free-x.de repository (thanks god it was nothing to adjust).

Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install openplotter-avnav

App installs following packages:
- avnav
- avnav-history-plugin
- avnav-mapproxy-plugin
- avnav-ocharts
- avnav-ocharts-plugin
- avnav-update-plugin
Just my 2dents:
Chromium runs well but I had to switch hardware accerleratuon of as well as the ipengl support in opencpn.

I just plugged in the usb/can converter and added it to the can bus config. Works great without further finetuning.

I was able to setup a hotspot and accessing Internet via usb wifi adapter. Only issue ar the moment is that I cannot select another source, get the error not auhorized to control networking….any ideas regarding this?

Opencpn seems not to save some config changes like „use accelerated graphic).

And yes, R5 is awesome fast, but with some workload and even weat a heat sink it soon heats up to 80 degrees, using a fan seems to be mandatory
(2024-01-05, 11:28 AM)BlackSea Wrote:
Quote:12. OpenPlotter AvNav installer app

@Sailoog
openplotter-avnav is now available for bookworm/openplotter over free-x.de repository (thanks god it was nothing to adjust).

Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install openplotter-avnav

App installs following packages:
- avnav
- avnav-history-plugin
- avnav-mapproxy-plugin
- avnav-ocharts
- avnav-ocharts-plugin
- avnav-update-plugin

Thanks! I will test and report.
(2024-01-05, 12:49 AM)SVKitten Wrote:
(2024-01-03, 02:00 PM)Sailoog Wrote:

#dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
#max_framebuffers=2

Using the headless image linked from the top of this thread.  Works fine through VNC with an HDMI plugged in but not when properly headless.

Using RealVNC on WIn11 v6.2 so I can update that. 

Pi5 using X11 as default in the image.  Agree on the config.txt but it did cure the same problem on the Pi4.

So it seems that Chromium is the cause of the slow response of SignalK in headless mode.  Firefox runs just fine.

Will keep testing and try to iron out the wrinkles.

An update on progress with the headless image I've been using from 24/12/2023 on the Pi5.  

1.  My issue with an apparently glitchy SignalK was that the Security, Setting,  Remember Me timeout was set to 3 minutes.  My Pi4 install was set to 1d.  Changing this on the Pi5 cures the disconnect/reconnect problem.  Simple!

2.  In common with other VNC users, I had problems with Pi5 hardware acceleration and window sizing when no monitor was connected to the HDMI port.  
The solutions proposed by others are to either use a "dummy" HDMI plug or edit the /boot/cmdline.txt file by adding  video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60D  to the end of the text.  
The latter worked for me with a perfect VNC connection each time.  Both Chrome with acceleration enabled and OpenCPN with acceleration ticked work great with not HDMI monitor connected.

Currently connected to:
  - WiFi GPS uBlox M10 via an ESP32 running SensESP. No issues
  - WiFi connected NMEA2000 gateway, Sailor Hat firmware on dev ESP.  No issues on the bench but need to connect on the boat with many more live inputs.
  - OpenCPN route data via UDP.  No issues

Have been doing some very rough and ready power consumption observations between Pi4 & 5.  The Pi5 looks very favourable as it is barely ticking over unless panning/zooming which it does really quickly then settles down to a very low idle.  I hope to borrow a current logging power supply and conduct some more definitive measurements.

Had a lovely short sail on Saturday but given the pressure of daylight didn't get the Pi5 connected.  I hope to try this weekend with a two-day trip on the Solent.  Not much wind forecast so a fine time to fiddle with the Pi5 in the warm, below.

Thanks to all for the ongoing work to make this a world-class solution for leisure boating.  I hope my stumbling progress helps others.