This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OpenPlotter 4 roadmap
(2024-01-15, 02:03 PM)Boatingbaileys Wrote: Some things work a little differently in the new OS, Network isn't there yet i dont think. If you keep checking post 1 and then update your settings app by clicking update candidates, the software/apps will appear. If its something major and it can't be updated then its likely to be another post with instructions or an updated image.

Hi Mat,

I've also been playing with Wi-Fi networking on a Pi5 with the Headless image from the first post of this thread.  I appreciate that Network Manager is native to Bookworm, I can't seem to replicate the functionality of my Pi4 Bullseye pre-Network Manager.  I have two basic challenges to overcome.

1.  Getting more than 1 ESP32 wireless sensor to connect to the Pi5 running in AP mode.  I can get one of three to connect, any one of three but no more.

2.  I can't seem to find any direction on how to get both AP and Client working together with Bullseye Network Manager.  This was a little problematic with the Pi4 but updating the Pi4 WiFi firmware cured that.  

By having AP and Client working together allows an offline Pi while sailing without a separate router while also allowing internet access while on shore power/marina WiFI.  No then end of the world but annoying that my previous config won't work with the Pi5.

I wonder if you've made any progress on Networking.

Mike D
(2024-01-20, 12:14 AM)SVKitten Wrote:
(2024-01-15, 02:03 PM)Boatingbaileys Wrote: Some things work a little differently in the new OS, Network isn't there yet i dont think. If you keep checking post 1 and then update your settings app by clicking update candidates, the software/apps will appear. If its something major and it can't be updated then its likely to be another post with instructions or an updated image.

Hi Mat,

I've also been playing with Wi-Fi networking on a Pi5 with the Headless image from the first post of this thread.  I appreciate that Network Manager is native to Bookworm, I can't seem to replicate the functionality of my Pi4 Bullseye pre-Network Manager.  I have two basic challenges to overcome.

1.  Getting more than 1 ESP32 wireless sensor to connect to the Pi5 running in AP mode.  I can get one of three to connect, any one of three but no more.

2.  I can't seem to find any direction on how to get both AP and Client working together with Bullseye Network Manager.  This was a little problematic with the Pi4 but updating the Pi4 WiFi firmware cured that.  

By having AP and Client working together allows an offline Pi while sailing without a separate router while also allowing internet access while on shore power/marina WiFI.  No then end of the world but annoying that my previous config won't work with the Pi5.

Mike D

Hi,

I am also struggling this with. I can't get it to work as it did before (AP & Client) on a single Wifi adaptor. I can create a hotspot and share my internet but only with the hotspot open, as soon as I put any security on it, I then can't join it.

On the hotspot, have you specified a network range? I had to switch to Ad-Hoc to get that setting and then i was able to specify a network range once I went back to Hotspot.

I dont think this is an OP issue, but I'm interested to see how others have got this working. I'll do some Googling also.

Thanks,
Mat

Seems it will now stay up and allow connections with WPA/WPA2/WPA3 but not WPA3 only... Still having to use two cards to do what we could on 1.
Administrator edition: Please post this again, it was unreadable.
(2024-01-02, 03:51 PM)Sailoog Wrote:
(2024-01-02, 03:28 PM)kristoe Wrote:
(2024-01-02, 12:58 PM)Sailoog Wrote:
(2024-01-02, 12:52 PM)kristoe Wrote: Hi

will the touchscreen edition allow for 2 finger zoom and long press for right click?

K

long press for right click OK
2 finger zoom, install opencpn from flatpak instead debian backports

Isnt that abit odd to have to do that?

OpenCPN can not be pre-installed in the image from flatpak, you need to install it when the system is up and running. OpenCPN from debian backports can be pre-installed in the image without problem.

I did the flatpak installation. does not work there either.

Kristoffer
(2024-01-21, 03:50 PM)Boatingbaileys Wrote:
(2024-01-20, 12:14 AM)SVKitten Wrote:

Hi Mat,

Mike D

Hi,

I am also struggling this with. I can't get it to work as it did before (AP & Client) on a single Wifi adaptor. I can create a hotspot and share my internet but only with the hotspot open, as soon as I put any security on it, I then can't join it.

On the hotspot, have you specified a network range? I had to switch to Ad-Hoc to get that setting and then i was able to specify a network range once I went back to Hotspot.

I dont think this is an OP issue, but I'm interested to see how others have got this working. I'll do some Googling also.

Thanks,
Mat

Seems it will now stay up and allow connections with WPA/WPA2/WPA3 but not WPA3 only... Still having to use two cards to do what we could on 1.

An update to Pi5 WiFi firmware has cured the multi-ESP32 connection problem.  Now to figure out how to have AP and Client at the same time.  Can't seem to find out how to create a virtual WLAN adaptor with Network Manager.  I recall the Pi4 OpenPlotter Network utility did this pre-NM (WLAN9) rings a bell.  I'll need to go back and check.

M
In Pi5 Bookworm you just need to left-click on the connection icon > Advanced options > Create Wireless Hotspot. Or if you already have one, Edit connections.
There you can setup the hotspot on wlan0 and share the connection with other networks.
Hi - Just run through how you share the connection, because I can only do this now with two cards?
I'm sorry I think it just seemed easy to me because i was connected with the ethernet cable to my house router.

If I connect to the wifi, the hotstop doesn't work.
Not a problem - I think something strange is going on but I'm not sure its OP related. I think this is in the OS code.
(2024-01-22, 03:57 PM)MigGat Wrote: In Pi5 Bookworm you just need to left-click on the connection icon > Advanced options > Create Wireless Hotspot. Or if you already have one, Edit connections.
There you can setup the hotspot on wlan0 and share the connection with other networks.

(2024-01-22, 05:53 PM)Boatingbaileys Wrote: Not a problem - I think something strange is going on but I'm not sure its OP related. I think this is in the OS code.

Ok - I've got this working, but on a reboot, the virtual interface disappears and I have to recreate it, so I need to work out how to stop that happening.

Here is what I did:

sudo iw phy0 interface add vap0 type __ap

Then in the network manager, you can see the virtual AP, called vap0. I then set that up as a hotspot, had to force 2.4 GHz, select vap0 in device, create the SSID. I'm using WPA/WAP2/WAP3 as the security type otherwise I can't join it. IPv4 settings - Method Shared to other computers and i've created an IP address range 10.1.1. 24 10.1.1.1 in my case. Then I joined my home network (remember this has to be the same band as the hosted network) so 2.4 in my case, bounced things a couple of times and its working. My phone joined it and I have internet access through the pi.

ifconfig shows ips on both vap0 and wlan0 in the correct networks.

Any chance you can bring the app back Big Grin