This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OpenPlotter 4 roadmap
(2024-01-22, 08:31 PM)Boatingbaileys Wrote:
(2024-01-22, 03:57 PM)MigGat Wrote: In Pi5 Bookworm you just need to left-click on the connection icon > Advanced options > Create Wireless Hotspot. Or if you already have one, Edit connections.
There you can setup the hotspot on wlan0 and share the connection with other networks.

(2024-01-22, 05:53 PM)Boatingbaileys Wrote: Not a problem - I think something strange is going on but I'm not sure its OP related. I think this is in the OS code.

Ok - I've got this working, but on a reboot, the virtual interface disappears and I have to recreate it, so I need to work out how to stop that happening.

Here is what I did:

sudo iw phy0 interface add vap0 type __ap

Then in the network manager, you can see the virtual AP, called vap0. I then set that up as a hotspot, had to force 2.4 GHz, select vap0 in device, create the SSID. I'm using WPA/WAP2/WAP3 as the security type otherwise I can't join it. IPv4 settings - Method Shared to other computers and i've created an IP address range 10.1.1. 24 10.1.1.1 in my case. Then I joined my home network (remember this has to be the same band as the hosted network) so 2.4 in my case, bounced things a couple of times and its working. My phone joined it and I have internet access through the pi.

ifconfig shows ips on both vap0 and wlan0 in the correct networks.

Any chance you can bring the app back Big Grin

Very nice, that works for me.  This might give the persistent answer:  https://superuser.com/questions/759542/h...es-with-iw

I'll look at that now.

Mike
First of all great job on OP5. I have to say it is now more responsive than my 1 year old Garmin 943xv. Thanks for all the hard work!

One thing I did have an issue with, not sure if this is an OP thing or OpenCPN. The tidal data supplied with OpenCPN is not correct. I had to pull the data from an old installation to get the correct files. After installing it there was only "HARMONICS_NO_US.IDX" and "HARMONICS_NO_US" files. THere also needs to be the file of "harmonics-dwf-20210110-free" for the tides/currents and otCurrent app to work.
Greetings everyone,

Just posting a quick note to say that I appreciate very much all the work that people here are doing.
What a community!

Understand little of all this programming but I do recognize some bits as I used to (40 years ago) dab in C++, and a few other programming languages.
I think I might try to learn Linux here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWbUDq4S6Y8

I have just acquired a Raspberry Pi5 (not realizing that Open Marine was not quite ready for the Pi5 yet).

Over the past weekend I have installed Raspberry Pi OS on a Micro SD card and then transfer all that on a Top Hat drive with bootable NVMe card, that is running PCIe gen3. Small achievement, I know but I was happy to play within the Terminal window.

Cheers,
a.
Hi,

I'm testing out a Raspi5 with the OpenPlotter 4 beta.  All seems to work well (can, serial, Maiana) except for my SensESP sensors.   I was expecting Signal K Security Access requests, but not received any.   I do see "ws.1ddd1d05-7998-453e-a14c-51529d8f4039" listed on the dashboard, but no data in the browser for it nor a Device listing.  I use ->set_wifi("OpenPlotter", <MYPASSWD>) and ->set_sk_server("10.42.0.1",3000).   I initially tried the same OP3 server address of "10.10.10.1" but then noticed the new server address used in OP4. 

Is the fact that SenseESP sensors are not connecting a known bug?   Or is this a feature with a solution that I'm not aware of?

I tried searching on OpenPlotter 4 and SenseESP and did not find any info, so I thought I would report my issue hear in the case that this is an unknown issue.

Paul
(2024-01-30, 07:11 PM)dreuge Wrote:    I do see "ws.1ddd1d05-7998-453e-a14c-51529d8f4039" listed on the dashboard, but no data in the browser for it nor a Device listing.  I use ->set_wifi("OpenPlotter", <MYPASSWD>) and ->set_sk_server("10.42.0.1",3000).   I initially tried the same OP3 server address of "10.10.10.1" but then noticed the new server address used in OP4. 

Is the fact that SenseESP sensors are not connecting a known bug?   Or is this a feature with a solution that I'm not aware of?

Paul

Hi, Have you setup a hotspot on the Pi and is the Pi connected to any other network? There are changes to the networking in this version as listed a few posts back. Also try turning on mdns in Settings on SignalK.

If you connect to the Pi with another device do you get an address in the network range you have specified above? What security do you have set on that network? WP3 for example?
(2024-01-30, 09:04 PM)Boatingbaileys Wrote: Hi, Have you setup a hotspot on the Pi and is the Pi connected to any other network? There are changes to the networking in this version as listed a few posts back. Also try turning on mdns in Settings on SignalK.

If you connect to the Pi with another device do you get an address in the network range you have specified above? What security do you have set on that network? WP3 for example?

Lots of good questions.  Thanks. 

Yes, I did set up a hotspot early on (almost forgot I did as I named it OpenPlotter).  I just vnc'd into another pi I have on my boat and was able to change the WiFi to my "OpenPlotter" and did get an expected IP (10.42.0.240). Security is WPA/WPA2.   I just turned on mdns, but still no joy.   As I mentioned before, it shows up on the dashboard under connection activities even though it did not show up for an Access Request, but no data in the data browser.    

I should add that it was working with the previous OP3 rasppi4 server.  The only difference with the code openplotter ->OpenPlotter in set_wifi() and 10.10.10.1 -> 10.42.0.1 in set_sk_server().

I have been look at the Signal K Server Logs and noticed several of the following:
Jan 30 21:37:22 sudo: mpstat: command not found
Jan 30 21:37:52 sudo: mpstat: command not found

I searched and found that mpstat is provided by the "sysstat" package so I installed it and I don't see these log messages anymore. But also no change with my SenseESP issues.
If you monitor the console output on the ESP with a USB connected, what does It say? does it get an IP and can't find the Server or report any other issues? You could try a couple of things, change the OP4 IP address back to the OP3 network range or revoke the security access and make it request it again. Thats i think where I would start.

Just to confirm your Hotspot is set up in 2.4Ghz band?
If I am not wrong mpstat is used only by signalk-rpi-monitor plugin: https://github.com/sberl/signalk-rpi-monitor

Could the wifi problem be a 2.4GHz / 5GHz issue?
(2024-01-31, 02:30 PM)Sailoog Wrote: If I am not wrong mpstat is used only by signalk-rpi-monitor plugin: https://github.com/sberl/signalk-rpi-monitor

Could the wifi problem be a 2.4GHz / 5GHz issue?

I checked and found the setting on Auto.  It is now fixed to B/G 2.4GHz with no metered connection.  For good measures I rebooted and verified the new settings.   Still no change on the SensESP device connections.

(2024-01-31, 02:15 PM)Boatingbaileys Wrote: If you monitor the console output on the ESP with a  USB connected, what does It say? does it get an IP and can't find the Server or report any other issues? You could try a couple of things, change the OP4 IP address back to the OP3 network range or revoke the security access and make it request it again. Thats i think where I would start.

Just to confirm your Hotspot is set up in 2.4Ghz band?

I won't have access to the ESP32 console until I get back to the boat.  I do have vnc and can ssh directly.  As noted in my last reply, my hotspot was set to AUTO, but I fixed it to 2.4GHz.   I was hoping this was the cause of the problems, but no fix even after a few reboots.

It will be a week or so before I get back to the boat.  I am developing a new SenseESP device which I'll test at home.  I have a second SenseESP device on the boat, but I have yet to reflash it and so it is still trying to connect to the old OP3 server (openplotter wifi on 10.10.10.1).  I have not ruled out a bad ESP32 dev board as I had one of these fail previously. 

Thanks for all insights.
(2024-01-30, 07:11 PM)dreuge Wrote:    I do see "ws.1ddd1d05-7998-453e-a14c-51529d8f4039" listed on the dashboard, but no data in the browser for it nor a Device listing.  I use ->set_wifi("OpenPlotter", <MYPASSWD>) and ->set_sk_server("10.42.0.1",3000).   I initially tried the same OP3 server address of "10.10.10.1" but then noticed the new server address used in OP4. 

Paul

Update: Earlier I noted that I see "ws.1ddd1d05-7998-453e-a14c-51529d8f4039" listed on the dashboard which looked like the SensESP devices which were connected under OP3.  Looking closer I see that this not a SensESP device but my Maiana AIS.
I also found a note on the SenseESP site that states "if you enabled SSL when setting up signalk server, sensESP will fail to connect to the server."   But SSL is not enabled.