This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Plotter on Raspberry PI 5
(2024-01-28, 08:23 PM)Lady of Rue Wrote:
(2024-01-28, 07:02 PM)Techstyle Wrote:
(2024-01-28, 06:49 PM)Lady of Rue Wrote: Hi Jason,
Afraid I'm not getting very far with this. When I open the Raspberry Pi Imager and select the open plotter down load and double click on it it appears in a dialog box on the imager the other active box says choose storage but when clicked on it just opens a blank box. how do I find the Select Media?

Have ordered the The Official Raspberry Pi Beginners Guide 5th Edition, so I'm hoping that will help, at least with the terminology, and then I can ask sensible questions! 
Thanks for you patience, Dave.

You should be doing this on another computer, the SD card you want to burn the image to should be inserted into an SD card reader and connected to the computer. 

Before you start the process put the SD card in the reader and connect it to the computer, make sure you can see it, for instance, using windows explorer on a windows machine
Thanks for the quick reply Jason, will have to buy an SD Card  holder, should I use the card that has the Raspberry Pi on it that I'm using to run the Pi 5 or buy another one.
Cheers, Dave.

I assume the one you are using you bought with the Pi and pre-installed with NOOBS - which is "New Out of the Box Software" version.  really it is up to you, if you find you don't like Openplotter or change your mind and want to go back, you can alway re-install Noobs or any other version you want, having said that you can get a 8gb or greater micro SD card for <$10 with an adapter.  I typically use 32-64gb.  I am going to move to an SSD instead of a micro SD - but for you I suggest walking before running down that path
(2024-01-31, 11:07 PM)Techstyle Wrote:
(2024-01-28, 08:23 PM)Lady of Rue Wrote:
(2024-01-28, 07:02 PM)Techstyle Wrote:
(2024-01-28, 06:49 PM)Lady of Rue Wrote: Hi Jason,
Afraid I'm not getting very far with this. When I open the Raspberry Pi Imager and select the open plotter down load and double click on it it appears in a dialog box on the imager the other active box says choose storage but when clicked on it just opens a blank box. how do I find the Select Media?

Have ordered the The Official Raspberry Pi Beginners Guide 5th Edition, so I'm hoping that will help, at least with the terminology, and then I can ask sensible questions! 
Thanks for you patience, Dave.

You should be doing this on another computer, the SD card you want to burn the image to should be inserted into an SD card reader and connected to the computer. 

Before you start the process put the SD card in the reader and connect it to the computer, make sure you can see it, for instance, using windows explorer on a windows machine
Thanks for the quick reply Jason, will have to buy an SD Card  holder, should I use the card that has the Raspberry Pi on it that I'm using to run the Pi 5 or buy another one.
Cheers, Dave.

I assume the one you are using you bought with the Pi and pre-installed with NOOBS - which is "New Out of the Box Software" version.  really it is up to you, if you find you don't like Openplotter or change your mind and want to go back, you can alway re-install Noobs or any other version you want, having said that you can get a 8gb or greater micro SD card for <$10 with an adapter.  I typically use 32-64gb.  I am going to move to an SSD instead of a micro SD - but for you I suggest walking before running down that path
Thanks again, Jason, Have just ordered a 64gb card and adapter. also just discovered a card slot on my Desktop Computer so will down load new OS and open plotter once that arrives. The beginners guide has also arrived so should get there eventually with your help! Smile Wave, Dave.
Currently Restoring a Folkboat