This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A beginner can manage it! - RPi3 + Sensehat
All working now, I also got a DTL AIS dongle and am currently organising DIY antenna.

I am very happy with my scanned and calibrated paper charts

I have messed about with the location of the sensehat to avoid the self heating of the temp sensor; I used it with the ribbon cable and sensehat outside the shortcrust case which gave good values but isnt that practical

Then I got longer GPIO pin blocks and stand-offs and used the case extensions of the shortcrust case to put the sensehat further above the RPi in the case with 1cm thick of expanded cardboard (i.e. 2 layers from a thick box) insulation but this still gave elevated temps.

Next step is to use 1 cm of real foam insulation, but I am not sure if self heating comes from RPi or from the sensehat itself.

Actually, I think I will just buy a little thermometer, forget the air temp and just have the sensehat in the unextended shortcrust case - what do I want to know the air temp for? Rolleyes

Thanks for all help

Update: With 1 cm thick polystyrene insulation cut to seal completely around long headers still giving too high temperatures. I'm going to forget about temperature Smile
My New Case
Will the compass in the Sense Hat be affected by the USB Hub so close?

(2017-10-07, 08:58 AM)PaddyB Wrote: I prefer using the opencpn android app, it's quicker than VNC and still uses all the wifi ais/gps etc data. There are 2 versions in the app store, the free one is old and not supported, the paid version is the real one, doesn't cost much.

I just noticed / realised the significance of this part of your reply above
How do I use openCPN on the tablet (which is much quicker, you are dead right) but still access the AIS etc data from the Openplotter RPi on the tablet?
(2018-01-11, 05:42 PM)Leigh Wrote:

How do I use openCPN on the tablet (which is much quicker, you are dead right) but still access the AIS etc data from the Openplotter RPi on the tablet?

Just go into the connections setup page and add this -  if you are connected to the Openplotter access point, or whatever the Openplotter IP address is if the tablet and openplotter are attached to the same wifi network. 

[Image: OpenSettings.JPG?dl=1]
(2018-01-11, 07:46 PM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2018-01-11, 05:42 PM)Leigh Wrote:

Just go into the connections setup page and add this -  if you are connected to the Openplotter access point, or whatever the Openplotter IP address is if the tablet and openplotter are attached to the same wifi network. 

[Image: OpenSettings.JPG?dl=1]

Thanks!

Will give it a go
(2017-12-08, 10:17 AM)Leigh Wrote: All working now, I also got a DTL AIS dongle and am currently organising DIY antenna.

I am very happy with my scanned and calibrated paper charts

I have messed about with the location of the sensehat to avoid the self heating of the temp sensor; I used it with the ribbon cable and sensehat outside the shortcrust case which gave good values but isnt that practical

Then I got longer GPIO pin blocks and stand-offs and used the case extensions of the shortcrust case to put the sensehat further above the RPi in the case with 1cm thick of expanded cardboard (i.e. 2 layers from a thick box) insulation but this still gave elevated temps.

Next step is to use 1 cm of real foam insulation, but I am not sure if self heating comes from RPi or from the sensehat itself.

Actually, I think I will just buy a little thermometer, forget the air temp and just have the sensehat in the unextended shortcrust case - what do I want to know the air temp for? Rolleyes

Thanks for all help

Update: With 1 cm thick polystyrene insulation cut to seal completely around long headers still giving too high temperatures. I'm going to forget about temperature Smile

What you really need to do is separate the pi from the shield (or use another sensor for temps, they are pretty cheap really) and mount the shield (or temp sensor) in a device called a Stevenson Screen which is basically anything that can block sunlight while allowing air to flow through ..... Some designs even use a 12V computer fan to force air through them to keep the heating down .....It's easier to just Google than for me to try to describe it here since a picture speaks a thousand words. I make mine on a 3D printer but many people make them from wood painted with flat white paint. The one that came on my wireless weather station was too small so I replaced it with a 3D printed design and now I have a Gold Star rating on Weather Underground. Sometimes you also have to tweak the calibration, I live about a 1/4 mile from a Lock and Dam on the Upper Mississippi which has a certified weather station and I had to lower adjust my sensor by -2 F and now it reads within 1 degree of it day or night