OpenMarine

Full Version: Viper motor speed lower in one direction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I am trying to use my pypilot with a viper motor.

I have opened the motor and found the two wires going to the motor itself. All other wires are left alone. As i reverse the polarity, the motor turns the opposite way, but seems to go at much lower speed that way. How is this possible when I bypass all the electronics? What can I do, and does it matter for controlling the boat?

Best regards
Thomas
generally there are 2 speeds in a wiper motor. So depending which 2 wires of 3, it goes either fast or slow or really fast. The really fast option is not usually viable as it would damage the motor

As for turning different speeds in different directions, it is not normal and I have never heard of it. Sometimes the speed difference may be slight or the sound slightly different with direction, but usually not significant speed difference. I am not sure the exact cause, but maybe the motor itself is biased for one direction or the other. I would measure the current in both directions and play with the different windings. It would be interesting to see a video, however if the speed difference in direction is significant your best option may be to find a different motor.