OpenMarine

Full Version: Pypilot starting - couple of qusetions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, 
first of all, I must to thanks all people that do great opensource job, how with pypilot, and with openplotter.
I use openplotter for couple of years (openplotter 2 + Moitessier hat), and recently upgraded to openplotter 3 64 bit + hacked Moitessier hat. This days I want to start build Pypilot autopilot, I read dozen threads on forum and pypilot workbook, and still have couple of questions.
Pypilot will work on relative small motor boat (about 9 meters length), I have hydraulic power steering already, and idea is that buy Sean-s high power motor controller, reversible electric hydraulic pump and rudder angle position sensor to make it work.

1. Because I use Moitessier hat, and want to build Pypilot with Sean-s high power motor controller that connects on gpio header, how to connect it? (Moitessier hat has occupied gpio header) I read that exist option of USB connection, but is experimental. I assume that exist relative easy way to connect it, but I would like to know it before I order motor controller.

2. Idea is that connect motor controller to existing openplotter raspberry. Hydraulic pump and motor controller will be 4-5 meters away from openplotter computer, is this ok? Can I use ethernet (cat5) cable for connecting motor controler and openplotter at this distance? Is this idea ok?

3. I will install rudder position sensor, with no end-travel sensors. Is that ok? I read that is no need for end-travel sensors if is present rudder sensor. Where to connect rudder sensor, on motor computer, or on raspberry?

That is it for now, it will be more when building begins, for sure.
Thanks in advance.
The Moitessier HAT "hacked" uses UART0 and pypilot also needs that GPIOs, so you can not use them both at the same time.
if you have a pi4, it is possible to use alternative pins for ttyAMA4 or other ports

(2023-04-04, 08:04 AM)zankiki Wrote: [ -> ]2. Idea is that connect motor controller to existing openplotter raspberry. Hydraulic pump and motor controller will be 4-5 meters away from openplotter computer, is this ok? Can I use ethernet (cat5) cable for connecting motor controler and openplotter at this distance? Is this idea ok?
Yes, it will work.
Quote:3. I will install rudder position sensor, with no end-travel sensors. Is that ok? I read that is no need for end-travel sensors if is present rudder sensor. Where to connect rudder sensor, on motor computer, or on raspberry?

It is best to connect to the motor controller for faster reaction, think like a reflex, but pypilot does support rudder angle by nmea0183 or signalk.
Quote:if you have a pi4, it is possible to use alternative pins for ttyAMA4 or other ports

Thanks a lot, in that case I just need to enable UART5 (ttyAMA4), and connect motor contoller to pins 32,33 (GPIO 12,13) instead of pins 8,10 (GPIO 14, 15)?
(2023-04-05, 11:24 AM)zankiki Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:if you have a pi4, it is possible to use alternative pins for ttyAMA4 or other ports

Thanks a lot, in that case I just need to enable UART5 (ttyAMA4), and connect motor contoller to pins 32,33 (GPIO 12,13) instead of pins 8,10 (GPIO 14, 15)?

Yes, you can also enable UART2, UART3 or UART4 easily using the openplotter-serial app.

If this has not been fixed yet, the problem here will be that if you have mapped the Moitessier HAT connection to signal k or opencpn, pypilot will start fighting for it until the connection breaks for everyone. You are forced to connect any serial device to pypilot.
You can specify only /dev/ttyAMA4 in /home/pi/.pypilot/serial_ports to ensure pypilot only uses this port.
Sean`s motor controller just arrive today, thanks Sean!

After quick overview, I have question about rudder sensor. There are mentioned 3 wires (black, red, yellow), but I have one red, and two black-red wires, which way to connect potentiometer?

For example, what is layout of pins, from left to right on this picture?
The center pin on the rudder feedback is the voltage sense. The other two pins supply 5 volt power.
Is 12V necessary for motor controller functioning, or motor controller just redirect 12V to hydraulic pump?

I asking because of I want these days (finally) start with setup of pypilot, and just want to put everything working (I mean: electronics, openplotter setup, rudder sensor etc...), before start with install hydraulic pump (installing the hydraulic pump is a lot of work and I don't want to do it before making sure everything else is working).

So the question is, for the purpose of testing, is it enough to connect the motor controller to raspberry (3.3V, GROUND, RX, TX) or should I also connect 12V to the motor controller?
I will replay to myself  Big Grin Yes, 12v is needed for motor controller to work.

Everything worked very easily and quickly.

Enabled UART5 because of UART0 is used with hacked moitessier hat (openplotter gives UART5 - /dev/ttyAMA1, I thought it would be /dev/ttyAMA4, maybe is this because of UART 1-4 are not in use)

Added  /dev/ttyAMA1 in /home/pi/.pypilot/serial_ports

Connect motor controller to UART5 (pins 32,33 - GPIO 12,13)

Under control tab I have "arduino", rx and tx leds on motor blinks... Everything works well.

After that I wanted to update everything before continuing (I did the last update about 6 months ago), but after the update signalk refused to work with GPS. Fortunately, I made a backup of the SD CARD a couple days ago, so I will restore and update everything EXCEPT signalk  Cool
Pages: 1 2