OpenMarine

Full Version: Oversized hydraulic pump
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I understand general hydraulic principles and have worked them on motorcycles and cars, bleeding, changing seals, etc., but my practical knowledge is elementary.

On my Morgan OI 416, I have an old but well maintained Hynautic hydraulic wheel steering system with copper tubing, no leaks whatsoever and it works quite well. The cylinder capacity seems to be close to 10ci and I could get my hands on an Accusteer HRP17 pump rated for 18ci to 24 ci. Can I do this? What are the pros and cons of oversizing an hydraulic pump to be used with Pypilot? Will it be constantly be oversteering?
I have a hynautic steering system with the kc-19 ram. I choose my hydraulic pump so that at full speed the lock to lock time is 10 seconds. That is what pypilot with basic settings is tuned for I believe.

You can always make the gains lower so that the motor reacts slower.

By the way, I bought a Hy-Pro 0.8 L/min reversible pump for 300 pounds. Your pump need to be reviserible! Cars, as far as I know, Do not have reversible pumps but use valves to change the direction of flow.

https://www.cactusnav.com/universal-auto...22520.html
I have not tried myself but I suspect an oversized pump would only improve performance.

You can change the settings in pypilot to reduce the maximum speed of the motor as well if it is somehow too fast.
Thanks for the replies.
I have squeezed the trigger on an Octopus reversible piston pump, model 1212:

https://octopusdrives.com/products/hydra...ton-pumps/

My hydraulic steering system is a Hynautic with a K25 cylinder, having an approx volume of 220 cc. 
This pump should give me an approx minimum HO to HO time of 11s. 

We'll see how it goes...
I've just joined the forum wanting to ask about serial connection between Arduino and Pypilot and can't see how to start a new thread. The help says this-

When you go to a forum you are interested in and you wish to create a new thread (or topic), simply choose the button at the top and bottom of the forums entitled "New Thread". Please take note that you may not have permission to post a new thread in every forum as your administrator may have restricted posting in that forum to staff or archived the forum entirely. 

But I don't see any 'new thread' button. I feel a bit of an idiot.
(2023-04-27, 06:55 PM)Nee-Wom Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the replies.
I have squeezed the trigger on an Octopus reversible piston pump, model 1212:

https://octopusdrives.com/products/hydra...ton-pumps/

My hydraulic steering system is a Hynautic with a K25 cylinder, having an approx volume of 220 cc. 
This pump should give me an approx minimum HO to HO time of 11s. 

We'll see how it goes...

We have an oversized pump on our steering system and is very efficient. As Sean suggested, turn down/adjust the motor speed/flow pump if your hard over time is too fast.
It's usually an efficient option, but it depends on how oversized it is.
I'd say anything up to 10% larger is best.