OpenMarine

Full Version: Maiana AIS has stopped
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've had my Maiana AIS USB + RS422 Adapter since Dec 2021 & it has been working flawlessly these past two years.

All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, it just stopped transmitting & receiving.

The power light is on but the GPS, RX & TX lights are not!!

I removed the CAT 5 cable & sprayed the connections & when I re-inserted the cable there was a feint glimmer on the lights but then went off again.

Has anyone any ideas where to start looking for problems or how to test?? I can't tell whether it's the main PCBA in the aerial or in the USB + RS422 Adapter.

TIA
Do you still have the breakout board? using this board by USB you could confirm where is the problem: https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/3....kout-board
(2024-01-03, 02:16 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]Do you still have the breakout board? using this board by USB  you could confirm where is the problem: https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/3....kout-board

I've sent the board & adapter back to Peter so he can check & repair.
Hi,

I am trying to install MAIANA AIS in openplotter but I keep getting errors and no AIS received data. I am running on a RaspPi4 with the latest OpenPlotter install w/ Signal-K 2.5.0 & MAIANA AIS 3.1.6-stable.

Following instructions, I've configured the serial device using "openplotter-serial" and made the signal-k connection (38,400). All looks fine until I get to openplotter-maiana. When I try to "Refresh" I get an "Unexpected error validating connection: Expected object or value. Try 'Reconnect'." After "Approving" the connection (NEVER w/ read/write) and "Refreshing", I get messages "Cannot connect with device, try again" but now I see "maiana" in the pull down listbox. And repeated "Refresh" and "reconnects" just repeats the "Unexpected error ..." messages.

I did prior configure the MAIANA AIS station via the breakout board using a serial terminal. I was able to see the MAIANA NMEA data in the terminal and another vessel has confirmed that I am transmitting correct AIS data. I am not receiving any AIS data. Looking at the Signal-K data browser I do get data for maiana.GP & maiana.GN GPS data, but this GPS data does not get routed to an OpenCPN Signal-K connection nor do I see any AIS data. I tried removing and reinstalling maiana in openplotter with no joy.

I kindly ask for any help or insights. Thanks.

I get this from the OpenPlotter "Check System"::

Checking MAIANA transponder... | MAIANA device: /dev/ttyOP_maiana | device settings OK
↳check device settings
check device settings
Unexpected error validating connection: Expected object or value.
running
Please go to openplotter-settings and enable "Debugging mode" then open a terminal and type:

openplotter-maiana

copy here any error in the terminal
(2024-01-14, 11:43 AM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]Please go to openplotter-settings and enable "Debugging mode" then open a terminal and type:
openplotter-maiana
copy here any error in the terminal

I don't seem to be getting any extra debug message other than a few "Gtk-CRITICAL".  I ran openplotter-settings and under the "system log" tab I selected "Debugging mode" and received a green text message "Debugging mode enabled. Additional info about errors in OpenPlotter apps will be saved in the sy..."   Running openplotter-maiana behaves as before.

mypi@openplotter:~ $ openplotter-maiana
(openplotter-maiana:63377): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 12:41:32.738: gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkScrollbar
(openplotter-maiana:63377): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 12:41:32.743: gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkScrollbar

I did a system check as noticed that:
        Checking debugging mode...
        ↳enabled
Update:

While "openplotter-maiana" still fails with "Unexpected error validating connection:" or "Cannot connect with device, try again", I now see some Maiana data in signal-k other than GPS, but still no AIS received data.

-------------------DATA BROWSER--------------------------------------------
MAIANA.MCUtype                                               "STM32L432"          01/14 16:03:54    OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.bootloader                                             "1"                             01/14 16:03:54    OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.breakoutGeneration                             "1"                             01/14 16:03:54    OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.channelA.noiseFloor                            43                              01/14 16:03:54    OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.channelA.transmittedMessageType   "24B"                        01/14 16:02:30    OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.channelB.noiseFloor                            28                              01/14 16:03:54    OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.channelB.transmittedMessageType   "18"                           01/14 15:53:41     OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.station.LOA                                           12                              01/14 15:54:50    OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.station.MMSI                                        "338163026"            01/14 15:54:50    OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.station.beam                                        4                                 01/14 15:54:50    OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.station.bowOffset                                10                               01/14 15:54:50    OpenPlotter.maiana 

MAIANA.station.callSign                                     ""                               01/14 15:54:50   OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.station.portOffset                                 2                                01/14 15:54:50   OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.station.vesselName                             "JOHANNA ROSE"    01/14 15:54:50   OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.station.vesselType                               36                               01/14 15:54:50   OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.transmission.hardwarePresent           1                                  01/14 15:54:50   OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.transmission.hardwareSwitch             1                                  01/14 15:54:50   OpenPlotter.maiana 

MAIANA.transmission.softwareSwitch              1                                  01/14 15:54:50   OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.transmission.stationData                     1                                  01/14 15:54:50   OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.transmission.status                              1                                  01/14 15:54:50   OpenPlotter.maiana 

---------------------------------------------------------------
Just to be clear:

- You can ignore these Gtk-CRITICAL errors.

- when you get the message "Cannot connect with device, try again", you have to click only "Refresh", do not click "Reconnect".

- If the green LED "GPS" is fixed and the serial connection in signal k is correct you should get GPS data in OpenCPN. Make sure there is a connection to the signal k server enabled in opencpn.

- The green LED RX should blink when AIS data is received.
(2024-01-15, 12:51 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]Just to be clear:

- You can ignore these Gtk-CRITICAL errors.

- when you get the message "Cannot connect with device, try again", you have to click only "Refresh", do not click "Reconnect".

- If the green LED "GPS" is fixed and the serial connection in signal k is correct you should get GPS data in OpenCPN. Make sure there is a connection to the signal k server enabled in opencpn.

- The green LED RX should blink when AIS data is received.

Yes, I always first try clicking "Refresh"  At first the top pull down menu has "MAIANA Signal K connection" by default with no other options.  Clicking Refresh results in the "Unexpected error .."  Clicking on "Reconnect", "Approving" w/ the usual "NEVER" and "read/write", and then another "Refresh" results in some too quick to read green text (something like "request was successful..") followed by a red "Cannot connect with the device, try again". But now my MAIANA "maiana" device is listed in the top pulldown box. Another "Refresh"  results in the "Unexpected error .."  

I just discovered something new.  I connected to localhost tcp port 10110 38,400 Baud via CoolTerm and I see GPS and AIS NMEA0183 data, for example: "AIVDM,1,1,,B,B52ijK000VLr@>TFa:>KSwbQjCAJ,0*07".  I can connect within openCPN to this tcp port and I now receive AIS & GPS via TCP.   This did not work when I tried to connect within openCPN via network to the signal k port 3000.     

Thanks for any insight and help
Hi, Here is an update.

I decided to test out the OpenPlotter 4 beta on a RaspPi 5. I am still clueless as to the issues I had with OP3 on my RaspPi 4, but Maiana installed and configured perfectly with OpenPlotter 4 beta on a RaspPi 5. I'm guessing my problem was user error somewhere along the way of setting up my first OP system. Thanks.
Pages: 1 2