This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maiana AIS has stopped
I've had my Maiana AIS USB + RS422 Adapter since Dec 2021 & it has been working flawlessly these past two years.

All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, it just stopped transmitting & receiving.

The power light is on but the GPS, RX & TX lights are not!!

I removed the CAT 5 cable & sprayed the connections & when I re-inserted the cable there was a feint glimmer on the lights but then went off again.

Has anyone any ideas where to start looking for problems or how to test?? I can't tell whether it's the main PCBA in the aerial or in the USB + RS422 Adapter.

TIA
Do you still have the breakout board? using this board by USB you could confirm where is the problem: https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/3....kout-board
(2024-01-03, 02:16 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Do you still have the breakout board? using this board by USB  you could confirm where is the problem: https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/3....kout-board

I've sent the board & adapter back to Peter so he can check & repair.
Hi,

I am trying to install MAIANA AIS in openplotter but I keep getting errors and no AIS received data. I am running on a RaspPi4 with the latest OpenPlotter install w/ Signal-K 2.5.0 & MAIANA AIS 3.1.6-stable.

Following instructions, I've configured the serial device using "openplotter-serial" and made the signal-k connection (38,400). All looks fine until I get to openplotter-maiana. When I try to "Refresh" I get an "Unexpected error validating connection: Expected object or value. Try 'Reconnect'." After "Approving" the connection (NEVER w/ read/write) and "Refreshing", I get messages "Cannot connect with device, try again" but now I see "maiana" in the pull down listbox. And repeated "Refresh" and "reconnects" just repeats the "Unexpected error ..." messages.

I did prior configure the MAIANA AIS station via the breakout board using a serial terminal. I was able to see the MAIANA NMEA data in the terminal and another vessel has confirmed that I am transmitting correct AIS data. I am not receiving any AIS data. Looking at the Signal-K data browser I do get data for maiana.GP & maiana.GN GPS data, but this GPS data does not get routed to an OpenCPN Signal-K connection nor do I see any AIS data. I tried removing and reinstalling maiana in openplotter with no joy.

I kindly ask for any help or insights. Thanks.

I get this from the OpenPlotter "Check System"::

Checking MAIANA transponder... | MAIANA device: /dev/ttyOP_maiana | device settings OK
↳check device settings
check device settings
Unexpected error validating connection: Expected object or value.
running
Please go to openplotter-settings and enable "Debugging mode" then open a terminal and type:

openplotter-maiana

copy here any error in the terminal
(2024-01-14, 11:43 AM)Sailoog Wrote: Please go to openplotter-settings and enable "Debugging mode" then open a terminal and type:
openplotter-maiana
copy here any error in the terminal

I don't seem to be getting any extra debug message other than a few "Gtk-CRITICAL".  I ran openplotter-settings and under the "system log" tab I selected "Debugging mode" and received a green text message "Debugging mode enabled. Additional info about errors in OpenPlotter apps will be saved in the sy..."   Running openplotter-maiana behaves as before.

mypi@openplotter:~ $ openplotter-maiana
(openplotter-maiana:63377): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 12:41:32.738: gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkScrollbar
(openplotter-maiana:63377): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 12:41:32.743: gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkScrollbar

I did a system check as noticed that:
        Checking debugging mode...
        ↳enabled
Update:

While "openplotter-maiana" still fails with "Unexpected error validating connection:" or "Cannot connect with device, try again", I now see some Maiana data in signal-k other than GPS, but still no AIS received data.

-------------------DATA BROWSER--------------------------------------------
MAIANA.MCUtype                                               "STM32L432"          01/14 16:03:54    OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.bootloader                                             "1"                             01/14 16:03:54    OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.breakoutGeneration                             "1"                             01/14 16:03:54    OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.channelA.noiseFloor                            43                              01/14 16:03:54    OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.channelA.transmittedMessageType   "24B"                        01/14 16:02:30    OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.channelB.noiseFloor                            28                              01/14 16:03:54    OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.channelB.transmittedMessageType   "18"                           01/14 15:53:41     OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.station.LOA                                           12                              01/14 15:54:50    OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.station.MMSI                                        "338163026"            01/14 15:54:50    OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.station.beam                                        4                                 01/14 15:54:50    OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.station.bowOffset                                10                               01/14 15:54:50    OpenPlotter.maiana 

MAIANA.station.callSign                                     ""                               01/14 15:54:50   OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.station.portOffset                                 2                                01/14 15:54:50   OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.station.vesselName                             "JOHANNA ROSE"    01/14 15:54:50   OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.station.vesselType                               36                               01/14 15:54:50   OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.transmission.hardwarePresent           1                                  01/14 15:54:50   OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.transmission.hardwareSwitch             1                                  01/14 15:54:50   OpenPlotter.maiana 

MAIANA.transmission.softwareSwitch              1                                  01/14 15:54:50   OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.transmission.stationData                     1                                  01/14 15:54:50   OpenPlotter.maiana 
MAIANA.transmission.status                              1                                  01/14 15:54:50   OpenPlotter.maiana 

---------------------------------------------------------------
Just to be clear:

- You can ignore these Gtk-CRITICAL errors.

- when you get the message "Cannot connect with device, try again", you have to click only "Refresh", do not click "Reconnect".

- If the green LED "GPS" is fixed and the serial connection in signal k is correct you should get GPS data in OpenCPN. Make sure there is a connection to the signal k server enabled in opencpn.

- The green LED RX should blink when AIS data is received.
(2024-01-15, 12:51 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Just to be clear:

- You can ignore these Gtk-CRITICAL errors.

- when you get the message "Cannot connect with device, try again", you have to click only "Refresh", do not click "Reconnect".

- If the green LED "GPS" is fixed and the serial connection in signal k is correct you should get GPS data in OpenCPN. Make sure there is a connection to the signal k server enabled in opencpn.

- The green LED RX should blink when AIS data is received.

Yes, I always first try clicking "Refresh"  At first the top pull down menu has "MAIANA Signal K connection" by default with no other options.  Clicking Refresh results in the "Unexpected error .."  Clicking on "Reconnect", "Approving" w/ the usual "NEVER" and "read/write", and then another "Refresh" results in some too quick to read green text (something like "request was successful..") followed by a red "Cannot connect with the device, try again". But now my MAIANA "maiana" device is listed in the top pulldown box. Another "Refresh"  results in the "Unexpected error .."  

I just discovered something new.  I connected to localhost tcp port 10110 38,400 Baud via CoolTerm and I see GPS and AIS NMEA0183 data, for example: "AIVDM,1,1,,B,B52ijK000VLr@>TFa:>KSwbQjCAJ,0*07".  I can connect within openCPN to this tcp port and I now receive AIS & GPS via TCP.   This did not work when I tried to connect within openCPN via network to the signal k port 3000.     

Thanks for any insight and help
Hi, Here is an update.

I decided to test out the OpenPlotter 4 beta on a RaspPi 5. I am still clueless as to the issues I had with OP3 on my RaspPi 4, but Maiana installed and configured perfectly with OpenPlotter 4 beta on a RaspPi 5. I'm guessing my problem was user error somewhere along the way of setting up my first OP system. Thanks.