OpenMarine

Full Version: Power module for MacArthur HAT in Raspberry 5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Some of you have asked if the power module will be the same for Raspberry 4 and 5. This is our experience.

This is the module that we propose: https://shop.openmarine.net/home/24-powe...r-hat.html

When running Raspberry OS Bookworm (OpenPlotter 4) under Wayland in a Raspberry 5, you will see a message "This power supply is not capable of supplying 5A. Power to peripherals will be restricted", you will not see this when running under X11 or when you use a Raspberry 4. You can ignore that message. That means the system will prioritize the Raspberry over any very demanding USB peripheral. Anyway, you can force USB powering in the Raspberry settings menu.

We have tested this power module using a Raspberry 5 + MacArthur HAT + 8" touchscreen display + USB GPS + USB rs422 converter. Everything is powered by the power module including the display and it is OK. No under power warnings. This power module can supply a little more than 4A continuous, see the picture, green line for 12V:

[attachment=2652]

If someone needs to use a very demanding USB peripheral there is another pololu module for it but not tested yet.
When I get a raspberry 5 I'm planning to try and use an nvme base https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/nvme-...9587178579 (rather than the external usb nvme drive I have now)

I presume power will be comparable, but any ideas as to how much power a RPi 5 plus MacHat whilst running opencpn will draw and what sort of headroom the 4amp supply will leave?
Could use Pololo 5V 5.5A Step-Down Voltage Regulator D36V50F5, but need to use 5 pin SIP header, cut trace to VRP, add jumper from EN to unconnected VRP pin!
You can also use https://www.pololu.com/product/2851, status rationed but it shares pins with the recommended module https://www.pololu.com/product/3782

Status Rationed (Active): This designation is used for items that would normally be designated “Active” but for which availability is temporarily constrained. Methods for rationing include (but are not limited to) order quantity restrictions, temporarily raised prices, and reverse quantity breaks (i.e. unit prices go up with quantity). Coupons and sales will typically not apply to rationed products.
Cool Ciao Sailoog, I received the MacArthur Hat + Power Module today. 
Most likely the power module is faulty. 
All assembled and given 12V. nothing is happening. I tried with the tester and there is voltage on the 12V pin of the module but nothing on the 5V output pin. 
Nothing turns on on the Hat and the Pi5 doesn't start. 
Let me know if I need to send it back to you for inspection or if there is anything else I can do.

Pi5 with OP4 - Geekworm X1100 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD Shield for Raspberry Pi 5. fully functional.

(Ciao Sailoog, ho ricevuto oggi il MacArthur Hat + modulo di alimentazione. Molto probabilmente il modulo di alimentazione e' difettoso. Montato il tutto e dato 12V. non succede nulla. Ho provato col tester e sul pin 12V del modulo c'e' tensione ma niente sul pin uscita 5V. Non si accende niente sull'Hat e il Pi5 non parte. Fammi sapere se te lo devo rispedire per il controllo o se posso fare altro.

Pi5 con OP4 -  Geekworm X1100 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD Shield per Raspberry Pi 5. perfettamente funzionante.)
Did you also connect 12V SW? it will work only when you close the switch:

[attachment=2700]
(2024-02-23, 06:03 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]Did you also connect 12V SW? it will work only when you close the switch:

Big Grin Sailog, excuse my ignorance. Everything's ok now!
Do not worry and thanks for reporting. If you missed this, more people probably will and that means we should make the manual clearer about it.
(2024-02-23, 06:34 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]Do not worry and thanks for reporting. If you missed this, more people probably will and that means we should make the manual clearer about it.

Big Grin Well, it can be useful to other old idiots like me who use copy/paste. 

Now I just have to wait for Op4 to progress. Good work and as always, good wind!
(2024-02-23, 07:13 PM)Max1947 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2024-02-23, 06:34 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]Do not worry and thanks for reporting. If you missed this, more people probably will and that means we should make the manual clearer about it.

Big Grin Well, it can be useful to other old idiots like me who use copy/paste. 

Now I just have to wait for Op4 to progress. Good work and as always, good wind!

Hi,

I'm sully and I'm a young apprentice (idiot may sound too harsh on ourselves) which found this thread as completely useful.

Cheers.
Pages: 1 2