OpenMarine

Full Version: bug in openplotter network wlan settings?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
this is my first post in this forum and I would like to greet all the users that take care about this interesting matters.
I am trying to use openplotter v3 on a raspberry pi 4 together with signalk and sensesp.
As the setup of sensesp with different ESP32 boards seemed to be unstable, I had a closer look into the setup of the wlan setup and checked with two wifi scanners.
In openplotter ->network I configured wlan0 as station to connect to a router in my home and wlan9 as accesss point for signalk and the esp32s. Wlan9 is set to 10.10.10.1 and wifi channel 6. The 5 GHz box is unchecked so I expect to have wifi connection on 2.4 GHz and channel 6.
But the wifi scanner tells me that wlan9 is using 5 GHz and channel 52. After some trials with different settings it seems to me that wlan9 is using the same channels as my home router, regardless of the setup in openplotter network.
This is problematic as the channels are used for different tasks and may be one of the resaons for the unstable connections between the esp32s and the raspberry pi.
I don't know if it is realy a bug or if I am doing something wrong.
I hope that someone can point me into the right direction.

Best regards
Andreas
(2024-02-02, 08:23 PM)ogran Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
this is my first post in this forum and I would like to greet all the users that take care about this interesting matters.
I am trying to use openplotter v3 on a raspberry pi 4 together with signalk and sensesp.
As the setup of sensesp with different ESP32 boards seemed to be unstable, I had a closer look into the setup of the wlan setup and checked with two wifi scanners.
In openplotter ->network I configured wlan0 as station to connect to a router in my home and wlan9 as accesss point for signalk and the esp32s. Wlan9 is set to 10.10.10.1 and wifi channel 6. The 5 GHz box is unchecked so I expect to have wifi connection on 2.4 GHz and channel 6.
But the wifi scanner tells me that wlan9 is using 5 GHz and channel 52. After some trials with different settings it seems to me that wlan9 is using the same channels as my home router, regardless of the setup in openplotter network.
This is problematic as the channels are used for different tasks and may be one of the resaons for the unstable connections between the esp32s and the raspberry pi.
I don't know if it is realy a bug or if I am doing something wrong.
I hope that someone can point me into the right direction.

Best regards
Andreas

Using the internal wifi adaptor as both station & access point sort of works a bit but it's pretty shaky, I only ever use it to update from the web then turn it off again. Then the ESP`s happily go back to talking to signalk on the access point. USB/Wifi dongle worked much better when I tried that.
Hi, Just to also add, if you are using the Pi connected to another network or hotspot and that happens to be 5ghz or you were pushed from 2.4 to 5, then you will also see this happen. It took me some time to understand what was going on, but I was joining my phone which provided a 5ghz hotspot and then wondered why the ESP couldn't connect even though that was set up for 2.4. As soon as dropped off that network, the ESP reconnected.