OpenMarine

Full Version: Raspi died middle voyage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi there,

Last weekend I tried my setup for the first time at sea. I connected my raspi 5 and MacArthur Hat and everything was working fine. It was working fine for 2 weeks, actually. 

My setup at the moment was:
- raspi + MacArthur Hat (+power module) to 12V
- independently powered 11' screen (no USB, just hdmi).
- daisy hat on top of MacArthur.
- usb IR for keyboard and mouse.
- usb gps.

I correctly configured pins to safely shut down the raspberry (as in documentation). 

The thing is that in the middle of my voyage the raspi died. Now it only shows the red led indicating the presence of a power supply. The green led won't start anymore. I tried to change the SD card, boot the OS many times, but nothing works. It seems like its dead. 

Does anyone knows how to proceed? Even if its dead, I would like to understand what happened, since I was planning to use this setup as my main plotter.

Thank you,

Sully
(2024-03-18, 11:27 PM)Sully Wrote: [ -> ]Hi there,

Last weekend I tried my setup for the first time at sea. I connected my raspi 5 and MacArthur Hat and everything was working fine. It was working fine for 2 weeks, actually. 

- usb gps.

I correctly configured pins to safely shut down the raspberry (as in documentation). 

The thing is that in the middle of my voyage the raspi died. Now it only shows the red led indicating the presence of a power supply. The green led won't start anymore. I tried to change the SD card, boot the OS many times, but nothing works. It seems like its dead. 

Does anyone knows how to proceed? Even if its dead, I would like to understand what happened, since I was planning to use this setup as my main plotter.

Thank you,

Sully

Do you see the same behavior after disconnecting everything from the Pi5 and trying to run it by itself powered from the USB-C jack?
(2024-03-19, 01:02 AM)ozone_one Wrote: [ -> ]

- usb gps.

Thank you,

Sully

Do you see the same behavior after disconnecting everything from the Pi5 and trying to run it by itself powered from the USB-C jack?

Yes. If I power the raspi naked the problem continues. I even tried to do it without SD, new SD, new OS image... the green led hasn't been active again (not even a blink).
(2024-03-19, 01:15 AM)Sully Wrote: [ -> ]

- usb gps.

Thank you,

Sully

Yes. If I power the raspi naked the problem continues. I even tried to do it without SD, new SD, new OS image... the green led hasn't been active again (not even a blink).

OK.  The green light indicates that the Pi5 is on, and flashing green happens when there is read/write activity to the SD card.  So either the pi is not booting at all, or it is trying to boot but something is messed up in the SD card I/O.  If connected to a monitor, does anything at all happen on the screen when you power on?  What about after you push the power button once?  What about if you push and hold the power button for >5 seconds (which does s force shutoff) and then push the button again once?

It kind of sounds like something is indeed fried on the Pi5, if the above gets no results.  Did you ever try to power the Pi via GPIO or the USB-C plug while it had the 12v power board installed?
Sorry to hear that  Cry

Did you use any of the other interfaces on the MacArthur HAT? Or just the power module and 12V?
Try to run an official Raspberry Pi OS image created with rpi-imager, not OpenPlotter v4 beta. OpenPlotter v3 will not boot in RPi5.
(2024-03-19, 02:58 AM)ozone_one Wrote: [ -> ]
(2024-03-19, 01:15 AM)Sully Wrote: [ -> ]

- usb gps.

Thank you,

Sully

OK.  The green light indicates that the Pi5 is on, and flashing green happens when there is read/write activity to the SD card.  So either the pi is not booting at all, or it is trying to boot but something is messed up in the SD card I/O.  If connected to a monitor, does anything at all happen on the screen when you power on?  What about after you push the power button once?  What about if you push and hold the power button for >5 seconds (which does s force shutoff) and then push the button again once?

It kind of sounds like something is indeed fried on the Pi5, if the above gets no results.  Did you ever try to power the Pi via GPIO or the USB-C plug while it had the 12v power board installed?

When connected to a monitor, it doesn't show anything in any way.

I didn't try to power it via GPIO nor plugged the USB-C while 12v power installed. I really have no idea.

(2024-03-19, 05:52 AM)Adrian Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry to hear that  Cry

Did you use any of the other interfaces on the MacArthur HAT? Or just the power module and 12V?

I also used an MCU-20948 module. Also the official fan module. No more ports were being used.

Well, I forgot to say that I connected my onboard router via Ethernet (I'm completely sure that I plugged it in the raspi and not in the Maiana Ais port, because I read about an issue Sailoog had before I got the board).

(2024-03-19, 10:21 AM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]Try to run an official Raspberry Pi OS image created with rpi-imager, not OpenPlotter v4 beta. OpenPlotter v3 will not boot in RPi5.

I just tried to do so and nothing happens. Led red, no green led at all.
Is it possible that the pins 5V and 3.3V (pins 1 and 2 on the header) got shorted? Either through bent pins on the stacking header, or a loose wire?
https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu...or-fixable
(2024-03-20, 06:16 AM)Adrian Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible that the pins 5V and 3.3V (pins 1 and 2 on the header) got shorted? Either through bent pins on the stacking header, or a loose wire?
https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu...or-fixable

It seems like a possibility to me, but I don't recall any loose wire. I stacked everything in a box, so maybe something touched the pins. I ordered another raspi, so I will continue testing and updating if it happens again.
Do you think if I connected the 12V SW in the CAN socket (which is externally identical) I would have fried the raspi?
Pages: 1 2