OpenMarine

Full Version: Maiana Connection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am just setting up my new Pi5 with my new MacArthur Hat.
What would be the best way to connect my Maiana AIS to the MacArthur Hat and keep the connection to my Raymarine MFD?

Do I use the NMEA0183 RX & TX from my Maiana RS422 Adapter, which I have had for a few years, to one of the MacArthur Hat NMEA 0183 inputs?

[attachment=2801]

OR

Use a Cat5 splitter to run Cat5 cable to Maiana AIS input as well as my Maiana RS422 Adapter which connects to my Raymarine MFD via NMEA 0183

[attachment=2802]

If I use the splitter I would probably have the Tx turned off on the MacArthur hat as the RS422 Adapter would be transmitting my MMSI etc but it would be good to have as a redundancy measure.
I could put, slightly, different station data such as "SV" in front of my vessel name or a different Call Sign maybe.

Any suggestions please.
"The HAT has the same features as all MAIANA AIS adapters together. You can receive AIS and GNSS data and configure the MAIANA transponder in OpenPlotter through the UART0 interface. You can also send NMEA 0183, NMEA 2000 or Signal K data to any device on your boat."

https://macarthur-hat-documentation.read...aiana.html

You no longer need the adapter, just plug the base kit directly into the MacArthur and configure the Signal k server to send GPS and AIS data to your MFD via NMEA 0183 or 2000 via the MacArthur connectors as well.
(2024-04-07, 09:56 AM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]You no longer need the adapter, just plug the base kit directly into the MacArthur and configure the Signal k server to send GPS and AIS data to your MFD via NMEA 0183 or 2000 via the MacArthur connectors as well.

Yes, but I want to keep the connection to my MFD without using the Pi5 and SK for the sake of redundancy.
Ah Ok, then I would connect the MAIANA to the MFD using the adapter and the output of the MFD to the MacArthur by NMEA 2000 or 0183 or even Seatalk1.
(2024-04-07, 10:04 AM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]Ah Ok, then I would connect the MAIANA to the MFD using the adapter and the output of the MFD to the MacArthur by NMEA 2000 or 0183 or even Seatalk1.

Thanks, Sailoog, I will be connecting the MFD to the MacArthur hat via NMEA 2000. I have this happening now on my Pi4 / OP3.

And a special thanks for you work with OP - greatly appreciated by us all!!