This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raspi died middle voyage
(2024-03-21, 06:32 PM)Sully Wrote: Do you think if I connected the 12V SW in the CAN socket (which is externally identical) I would have fried the raspi?

Interesting thought. I assumed that the CAN driver can withstand 12V as the recommended ESD protection diodes have a working voltage of 24V. And the datasheet of the MCP2562 lists +/- 58V as absolute maximum on the CANH/CANL pins.

But I will have to try that on a sacrificial MacArthur prototype.
Can you take a close look at two parts on your MacArthur HAT?

1. U3 CAN Driver: Do you see a small crater or an area that's bubbled up?
  2. D22 ESD protection diode: Is the part damaged?

The attached images are from a MacArthur prototype where 12V was accidentally plugged into the 1-Wire connector.

We tried to prevent that mistake by having a different color for the power connector and plug, but I can see how that can still happen by accident. Maybe we should migrate to a different type for power that doesn't fit into the other connectors.
(2024-03-23, 12:36 AM)Adrian Wrote: Can you take a close look at two parts on your MacArthur HAT?

1. U3 CAN Driver: Do you see a small crater or an area that's bubbled up?
  2. D22 ESD protection diode: Is the part damaged?

The attached images are from a MacArthur prototype where 12V was accidentally plugged into the 1-Wire connector.

We tried to prevent that mistake by having a different color for the power connector and plug, but I can see how that can still happen by accident. Maybe we should migrate to a different type for power that doesn't fit into the other connectors.

Hi Adrian.

Thank you for your response. I don't see any of those effects on the HAT. In fact, I bought another rpi5 and it works perfectly fine with the HAT. So maybe it doesn't have anything to do with the first rpi death?

I don't really know what happened.

Thank you.