This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to connect multiple devices to openplotter Wi-Fi?
I don't know what chipset the d-link has but many USB WiFi dongles do not play happily with the Pi. I have a list of a few that are just plug and play so no need to worry about drivers etc.

Anyway, just as a test, forget the USB option, configure the internal Wifi to be the AP only and see if it resolves your problem of not being able to connect multiple devices.

What details are shown for the d-link if you use the lsusb command? Edit - I see it is the RTL8812BU chipset, many Realtek devices don't work with the Pi out of the box. Perhaps they can be made to work but I prefer to use P&P adapters that just work without having to mess about with drivers etc.
(2024-06-05, 01:20 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: I don't know what chipset the d-link has but many USB WiFi dongles do not play happily with the Pi. I have a list of a few that are just plug and play so no need to worry about drivers etc.

Anyway, just as a test, forget the USB option, configure the internal Wifi to be the AP only and see if it resolves your problem of not being able to connect multiple devices.

What details are shown for the d-link if you use the lsusb command? Edit - I see it is the RTL8812BU chipset, many Realtek devices don't work with the Pi out of the box. Perhaps they can be made to work but I prefer to use P&P adapters that just work without having to mess about with drivers etc.

I found some tutorials for installing the RTL8812BU chipset drivers that I will try to follow. Could you tell me what these dongles work in plug and play?

(2024-06-05, 01:45 PM)gaspbut Wrote:
(2024-06-05, 01:20 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: I don't know what chipset the d-link has but many USB WiFi dongles do not play happily with the Pi. I have a list of a few that are just plug and play so no need to worry about drivers etc.

I found some tutorials for installing the RTL8812BU chipset drivers that I will try to follow. Could you tell me what these dongles work in plug and play?

Yes, I tried it in AP-only configuration and it works perfectly, so the problem is the AP + Station connection
Here is my experience of USB WiFi dongles that work with Pi, Plug and Play:

Some caveats:
1. I've only tested a handful of devices so the list is far from exhaustive, there are hundreds out there I have not tried.
2. When I say that a dongle "works" I simply mean that if you stick it in the Pi it is detected and operates as expected with no configuration required.
3. When I say "does not work" then it is not Plug and Play. I am not saying it cannot or never will work in the Pi, just that it needs some additional work such as loading drivers etc. There are guides which promise to explain how to make some of these work but I have not tried then and because I have a number of dongles that are fine I am not interested in messing about. With these it is always possible that future updates to the system will require the device to be set up again.

Ralink RT5370 works, I have used several different dongles with this chipset and they all work perfectly
Ralink MT7601U works (e.g. Dynamode wireless N 150Mbps adapter WL-700N-RXS-S) https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/networking/...19493.html
Realtek RTL8188CUS works, eg Edimax N150 V1 see next line for the V2

Realtek RTL8188EUS does not work, eg Edimax N150 V2 **UPDATED VERSION** Featuring new generation of N150 Wi-Fi 4 adapter powered by RTL8188EUS.
Realtek RTL8188ETV does not work
Realtek RTL8188FTV does not work
Realtek RTL8812BU does not work (Based on your experience not mine, I don't have one to try.)
I installed the drivers for the Wi-Fi dongle and everything works perfectly. Internet connection and multi-user connection are great and much faster than before.

Thanks again for your help.
(2024-06-06, 02:01 PM)gaspbut Wrote: I installed the drivers for the Wi-Fi dongle and everything works perfectly. Internet connection and multi-user connection are great and much faster than before.

Thanks again for your help.

That's good news, well done.

Perhaps you could post a link to the process you followed to install the driver in case anyone else has the same issue.
Of course, I downloaded the drivers from https://github.com/fastoe. I tried with RTL8812BU for Raspbian but the installation gave errors, I think because the file is not updated for the OP3 OS version. I used RTL8812BU Driver for Linux and everything worked perfectly. Rebooting the Pi and running the iwconfig command, wlan1 appeared.

This is another wifi dongle that is recognized immediately without drivers:

- ZyXEL Communications Corp. NWD6505 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wireless Adapter [MediaTek MT7610U]