This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update Crash
(2024-10-13, 10:54 AM)Sailoog Wrote: Good news!!!

I am also testing the beta kernel:

Linux openplotter 6.6.56-v8-16k+ #1804 SMP PREEMPT Thu Oct 10 18:24:46 BST 2024 aarch64 GNU/Linux

and it works too, which means a fix has already been implemented in the future kernel version.

Try running this as well. If the hash is not provided, it will load the beta kernel:

Code:
sudo rpi-update

Test and confirm please.

I did not test the older kernel but after running rpi-update and loading the beta kernel the pi starts properly again. I might connect it to an NMEA2000 network later or tomorrow in order to confirm it's working.
Thanks for reporting. Now we just need someone connected to N2K data to confirm the fix.
Hello to All, thanks to Sailoog.

i can confirm: the new beta kernel "6.6.56-v8-16k+" enables the MacArthur HAT CAN chip again.

I enabled the CAN via openplotter-can, at first i could not enable the PIN 25 - marked as used.
So i had to remove the CAN Line in /boot/firmware/config.txt completely, instead of just commenting it out.
After this the PIN 25 is usable and the CAN-Plugin rebooted the pi again into working State.
Last Step was to enable the Connection to SignalK in the openplotter-can. (i removed this in SignalK for debugging)

All CAN Data is here again. But like others said, allways backup before updating the OS.

Holger

PS: Just curious, do i have to stay with the beta-kernel for now or is there a way to go stable again.
Yes, it works!

I am new to the port and I asked my dock neighbour if I could connect to his equipment and he looked at me like I was crazy. After saying the magic words opencpn, openplotter... there is now a queue of volunteers, thanks! Heart 

So, the workaround would be:

- If your system hangs on startup after a system update, shut down your system and temporarily remove the MacArthur HAT. 

- Power on your system without the MacArthur HAT and after booting, open a terminal and run:

Code:
sudo rpi-update

- You will be prompted to install the beta kernel. Answer yes.

- After installation, shut down your system and remount the MacArthur HAT. 

- Power on your system and everything should work as expected again. 

- The system will revert to the stable kernel when Raspberry OS releases a new version and hopefully the problem will be fixed. You can return to the last stable release at any time running his:

Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install --reinstall raspi-firmware
I've just connected my MacArthur HAT to an N2K network and can confirm too that everything works again. Thanks!

On my setup it would be more complicated to remove the hats (MacArthur and dAISy), so booting from an sd card instead of SSD and then removing the line in config.txt works as well.
Works a charm. Thanks for that.

The question is. Do I dare install the latest updates that have just come through?
hello joe

do not install the sys updates now - but openplotter updates will be ok