This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WiFi Dongle for second WiFi device
A quick update as I haven't yet received the Ralink WiFi Dongle yet.

I have been continuing testing with the Edisun Wifi Dongle as that appeared to work to some extent.

With the OpenPlotter V2 image, even though I thought the wiFi was almost working, it seems it does need the additional driver (Mr. Engman) this works with the kernel supplied in the image (previously I made the mistake of applying both OpenPlotter and RP OS updates and then trying to load the driver which failed to find a compatible driver)

So, I applied the OpenPlotter updates and all seems to work, the two wireless networks work and I can route to the internet when VNCing to the pi.

I found that updating RP OS (sudo apt update, sudo apt full-upgrade) broke the second wireless.

My preliminary conclusions so far are:

Accessing the WiFi setup via the Wifi icon in the system tray (or whatever the correct terminology is) doesn't work and throws an error each time. in the end I used sudo raspi-config to make all changes and just quit the startup dialogue .

The Edisun dongle doesn't have native drivers in RP OS and the Mr.Engman utility doesn't appear to have a driver compatible with the latest kernel version.

So, as you say, it appears to be the dongle.

I will update the thread when the Ralink arrives and I get a chance to test it.

Messages In This Thread
WiFi Dongle for second WiFi device - by Paul M - 2021-08-08, 01:33 PM
RE: WiFi Dongle for second WiFi device - by Paul M - 2021-08-17, 11:54 AM