This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choose a wind sensor
I'm aware there are at least 2 threads in the forum that deal with this topic: Ultrasonic anemometer and Wind sensors and maybe, this question is out of topic in this forum, but i hope i can get some help.

I have a sailboat with almost no electronics: old Garmin chart plotter and VHF radio, nothing else. Now it has a Raspberry Pi4 with Moitessier HAT 2 and OpenPlotter on it, and a tablet as a screen.

I plan on adding a wind sensor, but i'm having a very hard time on choosing one, because of different factors:

1) Quality. I'm not, nor plan to be, a racer. So when i speak of quality, i don't mean that i need extreme accuracy or speed (of course, reasonable limits apply, since i will like eventually to run autopilot in windvane mode), but instead of the construction quality. I don't want to change it every year. Regarding this topic, i find models ranging from less than 200€ by Davis instruments, to more than 1.5k€ by Raymarine. And honestly, I don't understand the difference.

2) Ease of installation. Let's face it, i'm anything but skilled in this kind of tasks. And I know I would have to learn how to climb the mast, and how to install the wind sensor, so the less i have to learn, the better. In that aspect, options are wired vs wireless connection, and even solar+battery vs wire powered. I would like to find a solar wireless solution if possible, which would limit chances for errors.

3) OpenPlotter friendly. Even though this is the last point, it's obviously a must. Whatever solution i choose, i need it to be ultimately plug to OpenPlotter one way or another. I don't really mind if it already fires SignalK messages, if I need and external controller hardware, or anything in between (ie: NMEA0183 to USB adapter).

So the real question is: Can you help me figure out what wind sensor to buy based on those parameters (or others i might have overlooked).

You'll notice i didn't mention the price. Of course, the cheaper the better, but this is the first modification I do to my boat, and being definitely scared as you can see, I don't want to risk it by sparing a few €.

Messages In This Thread
Choose a wind sensor - by MigGat - 2021-02-12, 04:19 PM
RE: Choose a wind sensor - by abarrow - 2021-02-12, 05:25 PM
RE: Choose a wind sensor - by SailAlpha - 2021-02-12, 05:53 PM
RE: Choose a wind sensor - by Sailoog - 2021-02-12, 06:53 PM
RE: Choose a wind sensor - by MigGat - 2021-02-13, 04:54 PM
RE: Choose a wind sensor - by seandepagnier - 2021-02-16, 12:21 AM
RE: Choose a wind sensor - by MigGat - 2021-02-16, 08:22 AM
RE: Choose a wind sensor - by Sparhawk76 - 2021-04-22, 06:02 PM
RE: Choose a wind sensor - by Sailoog - 2021-02-16, 07:33 PM
RE: Choose a wind sensor - by Sailoog - 2021-02-18, 08:30 PM
RE: Choose a wind sensor - by MigGat - 2021-02-18, 08:48 PM