This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MacArthur HAT production
(2024-01-18, 07:19 PM)Sailoog Wrote: 100 units of MacArthur HAT (+100 power modules) are on their way to Seattle now. Then they also have to travel to Barcelona. We will ship boards from both locations. Before shipping, they must be tested. Yes, all of them, but do not worry, it will only take a few days because we will use a special board built for that. See picture.

We will know the final price when we pay all shipping and taxes but do not worry, it will be the same or even cheaper than any similar product on the market, not "marine stuff price" of course.

looks like solid approach for me.
Oh, the anticipation! I am sure many folks are chomping at the bit with double hopes with each forum email. Firstly for the announced availability, and secondly to catch it in time before supplies are exhausted. I do hope initially there will be a quantity limit to each order.
Great! My new Raspberry PI 5 arrived yesterday, downloaded the latest beta of Openplotter and am now waiting to order the MacAthur HAT, Power module and Maiana AIS base kit + USB.
(2024-01-18, 09:25 PM)dreuge Wrote: Oh, the anticipation! I am sure many folks are chomping at the bit with double hopes with each forum email. Firstly for the announced availability, and secondly to catch it in time before supplies are exhausted. I do hope initially there will be a quantity limit to each order.

Great point from dreuge. A limit makes absolute sense at this stage. So excited about how close this is. Had my Pi5 sat in anticipation of receiving its hat for a while now. Exciting.
Excellent News!
(2024-01-19, 12:55 PM)SeaTrapper Wrote:
(2024-01-18, 09:25 PM)dreuge Wrote: Oh, the anticipation! I am sure many folks are chomping at the bit with double hopes with each forum email.  Firstly for the announced availability, and secondly to catch it in time before supplies are exhausted.  I do hope initially there will be a quantity limit to each order.

Great point from dreuge. A limit makes absolute sense at this stage. So excited about how close this is. Had my Pi5 sat in anticipation of receiving its hat for a while now. Exciting.

At this point I wouldn't think anyone would need more than 1 to get started.  Once production is at full speed the limit could be increased.
Good points, thanks.

- I will reduce the publications in this thread to those strictly necessary so as not to stress people waiting for D-day.

- OpenMarine shop does not have an option to limit units but we will add a warning to limit 1 unit per order for this first batch. People with more than 1 unit will be refunded and punished with 20 lashes. We are beasts trained to consume, so I am sure that some people will try to buy more than one unit just because it is something highly sought after.

- Do not worry if you are late for this batch, there will be another one very soon.

- If you are a tester, do not buy in any of the stores, simply contact us after the D-day to get your board with the discount.

- The testing process for all boards has started:

Please do not post here if it is not strictly necessary.
Will I be able to modify my existing V1 (early release) HAT to owrk on a Pi5? I'm happy to do a bit of filing ...
Not to be a Debbie downer but I suspect there may be issues with the board? Awful long couple days of testing. It's quite a feat to get that far to begin with, just curious where you guys are at. Thanks!

Edit: I'm interested in purchasing once available but for testing purposes on my end I wouldn't mind picking up a Pican-m in the mean time if you suspect there will be a bit of a delay. Trying to get a pypilot setup working with my ST4000 and having the NMEA1083 would be handy. No rush, just curious! Thanks again.
The MacArthur HATs all passed testing and are now on their way to the OpenMarine store. If all goes well, and customs doesn't put up too much of a fight, they should go on sale within a week or two. I assume that Sailoog will pre-announce the launch day. We also already placed an order for more boards, so even if the first batch sells out quickly, there will be more coming soon after.

@rszemeti: On the mechanical and electrical side, the V1 HAT does work with the Pi 5. The only thing to watch is, that the pins of the MAIANA connector don't touch the metal shielding of the USB connectors. Maybe put a piece of plastic under the HAT in that area.

As per Sailoog's comment earlier, please create new threads in the appropriate forum for any questions or comments about the MacArthur HAT. Many users have notifications enabled for this thread in anticipation of the launch, and we don't want to spam their inboxes with unrelated content.