This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
OpenPlotter 3 roadmap
Now that I'm finally in to it, I think it's great. I installed the 64bit version on my Pi4 8gb. I notice it runs a little hotter, so I'll have to update my cooling situation. I think it is more stable than my setup on V2. Restoring my SK server was a snap. Love that it also notifies me when there are updates available. And, of course, the NTP server means I didn't have to do it manually - amongst a bunch of other things I didn't have to do to get this going.

Only thing I have an issue with is an old RS485 USB cable on for my solar controller. I requires wonky drivers, that I suspect won't work in 64bit. So, I'm looking at an RS485 to ethernet adapter and will take that out of the loop all together. Then I can use a SK plugin to bring in the data and not have to fight with drivers.

All good! Stellar work!!!
Hi guys!
A couple of silly questions about he forthcoming openplotter V3.
On my boat I did setup a Signal-k server based on Buster a couple of years ago. By the time I didn't know about openplotter, and I have configured it so much that I didn't dare to switch to Openplotter.
Yesterday I updated buster to bullsyeyes, and I broke everything. Especially the serial communications with all the NMEA devices (GPS, AIS, VHF) don't work anymore and I can't find a way to configure them. There are many errors related to jnode and modules that I don't understand. All I want is to sail ;-) So I decided to reinstall everything, and, why not, take the chance to switch to openPlotter.
So, the questions:
1) Can I go to bullseye + Openplotter beta V3 beta, knowing that there are some new version to come? Will it work with what I need, which is:
Signal-k, many pluggins, Serial connection (GPS, AIS, VHF), Signal-k Network Connections (to a raspberry pi zero buster that makes the interface with seatalk Raymarine instruments and Autohelm autopilot NMEA83), TCP Wifi connection to some sensESP sensors, openCPN, influxDB & Grafana, X grib, QtVLM
I don't use GPIO things, nor Moitessier.
If I go to Bullseye + OP V3, will it be easily upgradable when you guys publish new releases?
In signal-k Doc, they say don't use bullseye, so is Signal-k really working on bullseye?
2) If I stick for buster + OP V2, will there be an easy way to upgrade to Bullseye + OP V3 or will I have to update buster to Bullseye by myself (which is what didn't work well yesterday)?
Thanks!
Upgrading between Debian releases (eg buster to bullseye) is absolutely not recommended.

Can you wait some days? OP 3 stable is ready but we want to finish docs to release new stable images, I do not recommend you to use the last beta images for production.

You can do all you need with OP 3. Updating apps is just one click.

SK is working in bullseye perfectly.

Do not use OP 2, wait some days for OP 3. There is not an easy way to update OP 2 (buster) to OP 3 (bullseye), now you know why Smile
(2022-07-10, 01:37 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Upgrading between Debian releases (eg buster to bullseye) is absolutely not recommended.

Can you wait some days? OP 3 stable is ready but we want to finish docs to release new stable images, I do not recommend you to use the last beta images for production.

You can do all you need with OP 3. Updating apps is just one click.

SK is working in bullseye perfectly.

Do not use OP 2, wait some days for OP 3. There is not an easy way to update OP 2 (buster) to OP 3 (bullseye), now you know why Smile

Thanks! I can't really wait, because I need everything working by the end of the week, and getting back all my apps, databases, sensors, etc working is going to take me time and nerves, I can feel it ahaha. Well I think I'll go for OP2 then. And yes there should be a BIG WARNING with the command dist-upgrade.
BTW how do you do that:
"Moitessier HAT is not attached, uninstall the driver if you are not using this HAT"
to not get error when openplotter is starting?
then if you can not wait just install the official Raspberry OS image for bullseye and install OP 3 manually: https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/3....and-laptop

That way is better than using OP 2 and safe for production.
The latest openplotter-settings is 3.4.4, it does not contain more than the beta images (F.i. pypilot).
Hugo Bokman
some apps are still under development but we need the stable image before moving forward
Ok, it works well with the 32-bit pypilot 0.34 (on separate pi), signalk and pypilot-pi, so I can dump the beta and follow the developments with this one?
Thanks Sailoog, but enjoy the weekend.
Exclamation 
Here we go...

OpenPlotter v3 stable for Starting and Headless editions have been released. You will find links to these new images in the first post.

The documentation for these new images is also stable and complete.

These images are ready for production.

We will finish the pending applications as soon as possible, if you need any of them you should keep running OpenPlotter 2 until we finish.

Enjoy Smile
Nice!

But bummer, I just did a fresh install last night of v3-64 beta. Oh well, I have it down now, so installing the real-deal won't be a problem.

Thanks!