This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I would like to be able to install OP4 from scratch on RPi5 (Not using an image file)
Hi,

Is there a settings.deb file for Raspberry Pi I can download somewere, I do not like to install using img files!

Koen.
https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/lates...lling.html
Sorry but that doesn't help I followed the howto for a laptop downloading the settings application from cloudsmith. But that leaves me with an application that i need to edit in order to run on an raspberry-pi. If I recall correctly there was a third required positional argument that needed to be added in language.py. 
That is not that big a deal.
But the installation did not correctly identify my RPi 5 as a Raspberry Pi 5. So about nothing worked as described in the manual.
As a mather of fact I restarted a fresh installatio' using an imagefile this morning. But so far there 's only added to my disappointment. Pypilot IMU does not work. (It did on the previous installation) The power module just initiates system shutdown ... I still have to click shutdown ... My SensEsp dissapeared ...
But the UART buttons are no longer grayed out. So i should count that as an improvement i guess.
Sorry frustration talking ...
I get messages regarding SignalK credentials from Notifications and Pypilot. It says to restart to get credentials but that doesn't work.
How do i go about creating those connections?

Koen
Ah, Pi5.....

Why not use the openplotter image which is already all set up & tested? Seems odd not to when all the work to get everything to play nice  has been done for you & tested. It's designed to work as a complete image, not a deb.. do it all on your own you are pretty much on your own.. Confused
I can see your point, and what if I have two applications that run on the same computer and they both only come in an img file? 
Just buy two computers? Yeah, that is highly unfriendly for the user.

Anyway I installed the from an img this morning and I can hardly say that it all runs smoothly. 

By now, if i count my time and money i could have gone for the most expensive B&G plotter and stuff and would still have been cheaper of.
(2024-07-10, 03:54 PM)KKempeneers Wrote: I can see your point, and what if I have two applications that run on the same computer and they both only come in an img file? 
Just buy two computers? Yeah, that is highly unfriendly for the user.

Anyway I installed the from an img this morning and I can hardly say that it all runs smoothly. 

By now, if i count my time and money i could have gone for the most expensive B&G plotter and stuff and would still have been cheaper of.

If you dislike it so much maybe B&G is the better option for you.
Yeah maybe, I liked OP2 skipped OP3, wanted to try a new installation of OP4. But I seem to be missing an important part of the design philosophy. Why people want to write software that is soo depending on related modules is beyond me.
From that point of view OP4 is not very different from B&G. I can't scale neither of them to my needs.
I'll try again tomorrow on a RPi4, i suspect OP4 is not quite ready for RPi5.
Thanks for your advice.
(2024-07-10, 06:14 PM)KKempeneers Wrote: Yeah maybe, I liked OP2 skipped OP3, wanted to try a new installation of OP4. But I seem to be missing an important part of the design philosophy. Why people want to write software that is soo depending on related modules is beyond me.
From that point of view OP4 is not very different from B&G. I can't scale neither of them to my needs.
I'll try again tomorrow on a RPi4, i suspect OP4 is not quite ready for RPi5.
Thanks for your advice.

Pi5 seems to have a  fair few deep down changes so maybe not an instant migration, bearing in mind openplotter is free and open source with no paid big team of developers, we really can't complain about such a great free resource for such a powerful reliable system on a sailing boat. I've had no problems going over to  op4 on a Pi4, burn the card, turn it on, worked straight away. Living aboard it never gets turned off.  Cool
Like i said, I'll try again tomorrow with a PI4. See if that helps.

Thanks,

Koen.
OpenPlotter v4 has been created using a RPi5 and tested in RPi4 from time to time so RPi5 should be better.

I do not understand why you can not install openplotter-settings deb file in Raspberry OS. This has also been well tested. You do not need edit any file or add any argument, just follow the manuals: https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/lates...and-laptop

Are you sure you was using Raspberry OS bookworm?

Are you sure you downloaded the correct deb file? I think you downloaded openplotter-settings v3