This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Update problem on RPi 3+
My installation of OpenPlotter on my two RPi has proceeded smoothly, using the NOOBs package downloaded from the homepage. In the end, having found the RPi3 I bought a year or so ago, I used that for one system, a RPi3+ for the second. 

Having gotten that all working, after a few days I grew tired of the start-up message telling me that a later upgrade was available, so I set the RPi3 version off on that task. It performed flawlessly. 

I then tried to have the second system, on the RPi3+ perform the upgrade. It got through most of the process, up to the point of asking for my input as to whether to proceed or not, whether to read the Change Log etc. On my entering "Y", it started to install but then aborted, asking for an "enter" t exit. On getting that, it goes back to the previous version but not without producing some strange results there too, including on one occasion, the loss of the OpenPlotter icon. Fortunately, the NOOBs Restore function reproduces a normally operating older version.

I tried this upgrade numerous times, before reformatting the SD card and transferring the NOOBs files to that, then reinstalling OpenPlotter. Same result, an aborted update.

In frustration I then took my second RPi3+, brand new in its carton, downloaded the NOOBs package afresh, unzipped it, took a brand new 32Gig SD card, formatted that, copied the NOOBs content files over, set up the fresh RPi3+ and let it build the system. That worked as expected, so without doing anything else to that fresh install, I then requested OpenPlotter to update. Same failure at the same spot. Happily OpenCPN updates without issues.

If I had any hair remaining I think it would be torn out about now Huh . Can anybody offer any suggestions on this problem? I can certainly operate on the version NOOBs gives me but that is at least 2 behind the current release, which OpenPlotter itself tells me is a major upgrade, so I certainly want to use it.

Thanks
Bill
Sadly, the failure of OpenPlotter 1.0.0, as distributed with NOOBS, to update on either of my Pi 3B+ has continued over the weekend.I really need to resolve this so I can download and install my oeSENC Australian Vector Charts, as I can only do that twice under the strange licencing arrangements.

Surely I cannot be the only person to be confronted by this problem. I see on another thread that another user was having what appears to be a similar problem with updating OpenCPN last year but I can't find any reference to the solution in that case.

One solution to my problem with updating OpenPlotter might be for somebody to actually swap out version 1.0.0.0 from the version distributed with NOOBS on the home page and replace it with the current version -or is the intention to wait for the release of version 2.0.0.0 before updating NOOBS? If so, when might that occur?

Thanks
(2019-03-11, 12:40 AM)Bill_ Maxwell Wrote: Sadly, the failure of OpenPlotter 1.0.0, as distributed with NOOBS, to update on either of my Pi 3B+ has continued over the weekend.I really need to resolve this so I can download and install my oeSENC Australian Vector Charts, as I can only do that twice under the strange licencing arrangements.

Surely I cannot be the only person to be confronted by this problem. I see on another thread that another user was having what appears to be a similar problem with updating OpenCPN last year but I  can't find any reference to the solution in that case.

One solution to my problem with updating OpenPlotter might be for somebody to actually swap out version 1.0.0.0 from the version distributed with NOOBS on the home page and replace it with the current version -or is the intention to wait for the release of version 2.0.0.0 before updating NOOBS? If so, when might that occur?

Thanks
I've had the same problem all day today trying to reinstall and update. Problem seems to be with hostapd . .

(2019-03-11, 04:46 AM)Sailbus Wrote:
(2019-03-11, 12:40 AM)Bill_ Maxwell Wrote: Sadly, the failure of OpenPlotter 1.0.0, as distributed with NOOBS, to update on either of my Pi 3B+ has continued over the weekend.I really need to resolve this so I can download and install my oeSENC Australian Vector Charts, as I can only do that twice under the strange licencing arrangements.

Surely I cannot be the only person to be confronted by this problem. I see on another thread that another user was having what appears to be a similar problem with updating OpenCPN last year but I  can't find any reference to the solution in that case.

Thanks
I've had the same problem all day today trying to reinstall and update. Problem seems to be with hostapd . .

The error I kept getting during update was . .

Setting up hostapd (2:2.6-21~bpo9~rpt1) ...
Job for hostapd.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status hostapd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript hostapd, action "restart" failed.
● hostapd.service - Advanced IEEE 802.11 AP and IEEE 802.1X/WPA/WPA2/EAP Authenticator
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/hostapd.service; disabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2019-03-11 03:56:54 UTC; 37ms ago
  Process: 1599 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/hostapd -P /run/hostapd.pid -B $DAEMON_OPTS ${DAEMON_CONF} (code=exited,

status=1/FAILURE)

And then at the end . .

Mar 11 03:56:54 openplotter systemd[1]: hostapd.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
Mar 11 03:56:54 openplotter systemd[1]: Failed to start Advanced IEEE 802.11 AP and IEEE 802.1X/WPA/WPA2/EAP Authenticator.
Mar 11 03:56:54 openplotter systemd[1]: hostapd.service: Unit entered failed state.
Mar 11 03:56:54 openplotter systemd[1]: hostapd.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
dpkg: error processing package hostapd (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
I think I'd the same issue when installing OP for the first time.
And I remember that before I went to the update process, I made already a few changes to the network. On 3rd installation attempt I started the update process BEFORE changing anything else and that helped.
Didn't help me on my second attempt, using a brand new, fresh out of the box Pi and freshly downloaded Noobs installation, unfortunately. Immediate attempt to get 1.0.0.0 to update, without changing anything on the initial installation, resulted in the abortion once downloads were completed and installation of the updated version commenced.

From where I'm sitting, it looks like a systemic problem, not just on my boxes.
Install OpenPlotter with the image file. You don't need the Noobs version.

Update OpenPlotter tot version 1.2

Then do the updates of Raspian:

sudo apt update (loads the file lists)

then the upgrade: sudo apt upgrade

That is all.

If there are then problems with Wireless the Acces Point: sudo systemctl enable hostapd.service

To have the Access Point together with Wifi. Then add an usb wifi dongle. Then you have Wlan0 and Wlan1.

Bram
(2019-03-11, 11:58 AM)verkerkbr Wrote: Install OpenPlotter with the image file. You don't need the Noobs version.

That is all.

If there are then problems with Wireless the Acces Point: sudo systemctl enable hostapd.service

To have the Access Point together with Wifi. Then add an usb wifi dongle. Then you have Wlan0 and Wlan1.

Bram
Thanks Bram, I'll try that approach. However, it will still leave the present NOOBS version problem lying in wait for the next unsuspecting beginner. Roll on version 2 when hopefully there will be a fresh NOOBS 2.0.0.0 version download to overcome that situation.
Bill
(2019-03-12, 04:30 AM)Bill_ Maxwell Wrote:
(2019-03-11, 11:58 AM)verkerkbr Wrote: Install OpenPlotter with the image file. You don't need the Noobs version.

That is all.

Bram
Thanks Bram, I'll try that approach. However, it will still leave the present NOOBS version problem lying in wait for the next unsuspecting beginner. Roll on version 2 when hopefully there will be a fresh NOOBS 2.0.0.0 version download to overcome that situation.
Bill

When I go to the download page (http://www.sailoog.com/blog-categories/openplotter-rpi) all I see is the 1.0.0 IMG. Where do I go for the 1.2.x IMG?
[Image: updating.png]

you update from openplotter 1.0.0 to 1.2.0 there is no img. of 1.2.0 thats an old picture but you should get the idea.
Thanks.

That is the process that is I have been following with my NOOBS installed OP but which fails on both my 2 RPi 3B+. It seems to download all the appropriate files etc but then aborts soon after starting to install OpenPlotter version 1.2, although the same tool updates OpenCPN and its plug-ins successfully. 

I'll try the approach with an Image installation, as suggested.