This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get True Wind Direction instead of apparent using Signal K.
(2022-04-11, 07:21 PM)dreeas Wrote:
(2022-04-11, 07:15 PM)Techstyle Wrote: I just re-read your Opening Post and I don't think you need to do anything, and this is why:

Apparent wind direction/speed is the actual direction/speed the boat sees and records.  The reason it is different from the True wind is because the boat is moving.  Apparent means relative to the boat.  If the boat is stationary, Apparent and True are the same.  if you are making a Home weather station Apparent Wind = True Wind

maybe a better explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apparent_wind

I have already studied that wiki page, and I agree. Problem is I just want the output to be what the sensor is sending in it´s nmea telegram, value in degrees 0-359 and not converted to radians. But I understand from the post above that SignalK does output it in radians and it´s not possible to change.

SignalK uses SI units - Radians for angle.  But Signal K is just a data handler.  You would want to use something like KIP (Singal K plugin) to view current data or Influx/Grafana to store and view trends - either of those can change the units

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to get True Wind Direction instead of apparent using Signal K. - by Techstyle - 2022-04-11, 07:32 PM