This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get True Wind Direction instead of apparent using Signal K.
(2022-04-10, 02:26 PM)abarrow Wrote: True wind angle has to be calculated, as on a moving vessel the speed of the vessel and the current the vessel is traveling in contribute to the wind speed and direction that is detected by your sensor.

If the sensor is stationary, apparent wind speed will be the same as true wind speed. Apparent wind will be the angle referenced to the forward position on the sensor (+/- 180 degrees). I assume that you will be pointing this reference to north. On my ultrasonic sensor, it's a little mark that I have to align with the centerline of the boat. There are ways in OpenPlotter to calculate true wind direction and speed, but they require a vessel heading and speed to create the numbers, which I'm assuming you don't have. 

Hi, do you know the formula? I have NMEA2000 data that gives me AWA AWS have heading and speed, wich to calculate TWS TWA

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to get True Wind Direction instead of apparent using Signal K. - by claudioita - 2024-01-19, 12:34 PM