This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
pypilot on openplotter 3
(2022-09-15, 11:55 AM)Sailoog Wrote: I did not know that feature and now I can see that some pypilot scripts have that option.

I think we could add this as a new mode:

- Disable
- Enable IMU Only
- Enable Autopilot
- Remote

In remote mode we could even feed OpenPlotter with data from the remote IMU, autopilot... really interesting.

Could we continue this conversation in the thread of the new app? https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=4221

Oh - it's not a feature request, was just a random question that popped up. But I missed that thread so I'll look into it and update the workbook accordingly.
(2022-08-31, 10:39 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: I finally managed to replicate some of the issues and wanted to post instructions for installing pypilot on openplotter3.   Eventually the commands listed below will be integrated into openplotter eliminating this step, but for now:

git clone https://github.com/pypilot/openplotter-pypilot
cd openplotter-pypilot
sudo python3 setup.py install
openplotter-pypilot

If there are errors, post them, and also try "update" under reinstall to ensure it completes.  

You will want to enable i2c in raspbi-config as well as the hardware serial port in most cases.

Please try this and post any issues so the scripts can be updated and improved.

I cannot  get into "github" from Terminal. See screenshot attached. What can be done?

Attached Files Image(s)

If it says 'unable to resolve' it cannot contact a DNS server. Wild guess: you are not connected to the internet. You might try plugging in an ethernet cable connected to the home router.
After installing OpenPlotter 3 (32 bit version), the Pypilot software was not included (grayed out in settings).  I found this thread and followed Sean's directions.  The software seemed to load ok and I hit refresh  in settings then ran it again in the settings because it showed up there after the first run.  I became confused with all the different discussion points in this thread and then followed Ironman's outline attached as a pdf above.  I came to the point where it says I need to add serial port.  At this point, I can't go further.  OP3 looks different now from when Ironman created outline.  It shows the serial port having been added but the program keeps telling me it needs to be added.  Then, I noticed that the screens for the weather sensor and Pypilot are blank.  The autopilot also shows as not connected in the web browser.  I still have backlights and its all connected.  I earlier had a Standby indication in Pypilot and it the weather computer was indicating temperature.  I believe Pypilot was working because I was getting a heading indication and I was able to change the offset (on interface but not pypilot screen.

I am very confused now as to what I should do.  My display is connected to the OP computer and I have no idea how I would issue any troubleshooting commands to talk to tinypilot (I have a TinyPilot from last year with a zero w).  When I press the buttons on the remote, an LED on TinyPilot comes on momentarily, so it seems to be receiving but nothing happens. 

Another thing I find odd is that Sailoog states above that the Pypilot had been added to OP3 but I downloaded it the other day and Pypilot was still grayed out.  Its been almost a year since OP3 was out and this thread started.  

I am planning a crossing in a few days and my system is down.  I have been planning to provide performance after the crossing is complete.  I very much want the system to work because I designed my own windvane self-steering and Pypilot is an integral part of that design.  Any help to get this going is appreciated.
Check if the serial port is setup correctly:
ls - l /dev/serial0

If this points to /dev/ttyAMA0 it should work. In the newer openplotter I believe you can do this from the serial configuration.

Next, ensure the pypilot_hat service is running. You must enable SPI in raspi-config for this to work, but normally the lcd should be autodetected. You should be able to enable it from the interface from running openplotter-pypilot, or by
sudo service pypilot_hat start
sudo service pypilot_hat enable
(2023-05-23, 04:56 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: Check if the serial port is setup correctly:
ls - l /dev/serial0

If this points to /dev/ttyAMA0 it should work.  In the newer openplotter I believe you can do this from the serial configuration.

Next, ensure the pypilot_hat service is running.  You must enable SPI in raspi-config for this to work, but normally the lcd should be autodetected.  You should be able to enable it from the interface from running openplotter-pypilot, or by
sudo service pypilot_hat start
sudo service pypilot_hat enable

Here are results from 1st

pi@openplotter:~ $ ls -l /dev/serial0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 May 21 07:23 /dev/serial0 -> ttyAMA0
pi@openplotter:~ $ openplotter-pypilot
active
active
active
Settings file not found. Using defaults and creating settings file
Failed to open SPI bus 0, select 0
Using fusion algorithm RTQF
active

(openplotter-pypilot:1867): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 07:34:24.962: gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkScrollbar

Here are other commands

pi@openplotter:~ $ sudo service pypilot_hat start~
pypilot_hat: unrecognized service
pi@openplotter:~ $ sudo service pypilot_hat enable
pypilot_hat: unrecognized service
pi@openplotter:~ $
(2023-05-23, 03:14 AM)SVHM Wrote: After installing OpenPlotter 3 (32 bit version), the Pypilot software was not included (grayed out in settings).  I found this thread and followed Sean's directions.  The software seemed to load ok and I hit refresh  in settings then ran it again in the settings because it showed up there after the first run.  I became confused with all the different discussion points in this thread and then followed Ironman's outline attached as a pdf above.  I came to the point where it says I need to add serial port.  At this point, I can't go further.  OP3 looks different now from when Ironman created outline.  It shows the serial port having been added but the program keeps telling me it needs to be added.  Then, I noticed that the screens for the weather sensor and Pypilot are blank.  The autopilot also shows as not connected in the web browser.  I still have backlights and its all connected.  I earlier had a Standby indication in Pypilot and it the weather computer was indicating temperature.  I believe Pypilot was working because I was getting a heading indication and I was able to change the offset (on interface but not pypilot screen.

I am very confused now as to what I should do.  My display is connected to the OP computer and I have no idea how I would issue any troubleshooting commands to talk to tinypilot (I have a TinyPilot from last year with a zero w).  When I press the buttons on the remote, an LED on TinyPilot comes on momentarily, so it seems to be receiving but nothing happens. 

Another thing I find odd is that Sailoog states above that the Pypilot had been added to OP3 but I downloaded it the other day and Pypilot was still grayed out.  Its been almost a year since OP3 was out and this thread started.  

I am planning a crossing in a few days and my system is down.  I have been planning to provide performance after the crossing is complete.  I very much want the system to work because I designed my own windvane self-steering and Pypilot is an integral part of that design.  Any help to get this going is appreciated.

openplotter-pypilot for openplotter v3 has been available for a long time. I don't understand why you see it greyed out in openplotter-settings.

openplotter v3 only works in Raspberry OS 11 bullseye. Are you installing openplotter v3 in Raspberry OS 10 buster (openplotter v2)?
(2023-05-23, 01:09 PM)Sailoog Wrote:
(2023-05-23, 03:14 AM)SVHM Wrote: After installing OpenPlotter 3 (32 bit version), the Pypilot software was not included (grayed out in settings).  I found this thread and followed Sean's directions.  The software seemed to load ok and I hit refresh  in settings then ran it again in the settings because it showed up there after the first run.  I became confused with all the different discussion points in this thread and then followed Ironman's outline attached as a pdf above.  I came to the point where it says I need to add serial port.  At this point, I can't go further.  OP3 looks different now from when Ironman created outline.  It shows the serial port having been added but the program keeps telling me it needs to be added.  Then, I noticed that the screens for the weather sensor and Pypilot are blank.  The autopilot also shows as not connected in the web browser.  I still have backlights and its all connected.  I earlier had a Standby indication in Pypilot and it the weather computer was indicating temperature.  I believe Pypilot was working because I was getting a heading indication and I was able to change the offset (on interface but not pypilot screen.

openplotter-pypilot for openplotter v3 has been available for a long time. I don't understand why you see it greyed out in openplotter-settings.

openplotter v3 only works in Raspberry OS 11 bullseye. Are you installing openplotter v3 in Raspberry OS 10 buster (openplotter v2)?

I went to the OP3 download section and loaded the 32 bit version of what was there.  I have version 3.4.4 right now.

Is it possible that an earlier Pypilot setup accidentally was put in the latest OP3 package?
but where did you installed openplotter-settings 3.4.4? Debian version?
What happens when you click "Get candidates" in openplotter-settings?
I just went to the openplotter page and downloaded what was there. I may have clicked a link from the whrkbook example but it was definitely the OP website. When I lick refresh in settings, Pypilot is pink and says open and apply. I can't seem to do anything to apply and it continues to stay pink.

I just noticed I am at version 3.2.9 now after updating.