This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
openplotter-gpio v3.x.x released
(2022-12-28, 09:19 AM)holgerw Wrote: some cheap bme280 are fake. try another from known source.

With op v2 work very fine, is with op v3 is not work
ok, so it must be an softwarebug in v3

did you test the signalK-plugin "signalk-raspberry-pi-bme280" to let it read the data from there?
this worked for me in OPv2. i try to use most hardware sensors from signalK directly.
New openplotter-gpio v3.2.24 published. We have added support for pulse sensors and we go from alpha to beta.

There are many things you can do with pulse sensors. This is an example to get RPM from your engine connecting the 'W' terminal or tachometer signal wire (using an optocoupler so as not to fry the Raspberry):

You can also get wind speed. This would be the settings for a Davis anemometer. To get linear speed from RPM values you need to provide the radius of the wind sensor:

And this would be the settings for a chain counter using a pulse sensor in the windlass. You also need the radius:

If you want to reset to 0 the "Revolutions counter" and the "Distance" values you have 2 new "Actions" in openplotter-notifications app to be triggered when you need.

Please test and report as usual.
(2022-11-30, 07:55 PM)Sailoog Wrote: OpenPlotter GPIO app for v3 is released.

- Seatalk1 feature is done and tested but is not published yet because we are waiting for the next signal K server update. This new version will fix a critical bug in Seatalk1: https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-server/pull/1455

- GPIO pulses feature still needs some work.

- GPIO 1W feature is published and tested.

- GPIO digital feature is published and tested. On this v3 we have added GPIO outputs!

As usual I will not give any instruction or clue so we can also check usability. Install from OpenPlotter Settings as usual. Test and report please, thanks.

Hi Sailoog, I’m quite new to oppenplotter and struggling with usability. I installed Seatalk via an octucupler connected to Gpio 4. But the Gpio setup windows states at themfoot: Gpio read not running instead of Gpio service enabled. 

Am I missing a step and should I enable the service somewhere?
"Gpio read" service is used only by GPIOs defined in digital, 1W and pulse tabs. GPIOs defined in seatal1 tab use the pigpiod service. You are right, that message could be confusing.

after setting your seatalk1 GPIO press "Check system" in the openplotter menu to get more info about running services. If it does not work check your wiring and settings.
A significant improvement to GPIO 1W would be to add the units (K). Otherwise, they must be added manually. I have 14 temperature sensors and the list is growing.
(2023-04-17, 06:42 PM)RichFind Wrote: A significant improvement to GPIO 1W would be to add the units (K). Otherwise, they must be added manually. I have 14 temperature sensors and the list is growing.

Sorry, I do not understand your request. 1W sensors always send kelvin values because that is what the Signal k server expects.
(2023-03-13, 09:01 PM)Sailoog Wrote: "Gpio read" service is used only by GPIOs defined in digital, 1W and pulse tabs. GPIOs defined in seatal1 tab use the pigpiod service. You are right, that message could be confusing.

after setting your seatalk1 GPIO press "Check system" in the openplotter menu to get more info about running services. If it does not work check your wiring and settings.

Thanks Sailoog, working fine now!
(2023-02-03, 06:39 PM)Sailoog Wrote: New openplotter-gpio v3.2.24 published. We have added support for pulse sensors and we go from alpha to beta.

There are many things you can do with pulse sensors. This is an example to get RPM from your engine connecting the 'W' terminal or tachometer signal wire (using an optocoupler so as not to fry the Raspberry):

You can also get wind speed. This would be the settings for a Davis anemometer. To get linear speed from RPM values you need to provide the radius of the wind sensor:

And this would be the settings for a chain counter using a pulse sensor in the windlass. You also need the radius:

If you want to reset to 0 the "Revolutions counter" and the "Distance" values you have 2 new "Actions" in openplotter-notifications app to be triggered when you need.

Please test and report as usual.
Hi Sailoog, I have been struggling with the Gpio pulses setup to monitor engine rpm. I have made a circuit with an optocoupler as suggested Baileys, and have testet both the input pulses from the alternator and the output of the optocoupler going from 111hz to 400hz. For some reason Gpio pulses reads half the pulses, starting from 55, and tops at 95pulses. For some reason it’s unable to read higher frecuencies. I have tried different approaches to see if it’s a matter of signal noise but have failed. My tester has no problem reading the frecuencies. Y guess it has to do with the Gpio reads… any suggestions ? I have run out of options.  Huh
Hi @Sailoog , I have been struggling with the Gpio pulses setup to monitor engine rpm. I have made a circuit with an optocoupler as suggested Baileys, and have testet both the input pulses from the alternator and the output of the optocoupler going from 111hz to 400hz. For some reason Gpio pulses reads half the pulses, starting from 55, and tops at 95pulses. For some reason it’s unable to read higher frecuencies. I have tried different approaches to see if it’s a matter of signal noise but have failed. My tester has no problem reading the frecuencies. Y guess it has to do with the Gpio reads… any suggestions ? I have run out of options.