This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
updates and update of serial 3.3 and serialk server 2.0.
I'm really curious about the issue I had with upgrading serial to 3.0, and signalk to ver 2.0. was at the boat the other day, and was trying to get the influxdb to try to make graphs. the program does not display properly on my 7" monitor. gave up, and,since firefox was not on the backup chip, and I had a spare backup chip, decide to be curious and try some debugging. tried to use the firefox install commands you gave me earlier, and it appeared to time out. tried just sudo install firefox-esr, same thing. So I hooked my phone up as a hotspot and connect to the pi. tried the command you gave, and it timed out I believe. Tried just the sudo install firefox-esr and it worked. Now the command you gave me worked at home on the high speed network. Obviously, the marina signal is too weak for some things. and my cell connection.
Got the instrument panel going in firefox, everything was good. tried the influx again, in firefox no difference.
I then did the serial 3 update for curiosity. and then to signalk 2. things seemed to be working still.
I rebooted the Pi. ( often when I get to the boat, it's locked up, and unresponsive. only thing I can do is pull the power to get it going again).
when it rebooted, no data from the network, I2C was there. on the dashboard, i get a ttyusb0 not connected message now. went through every setting, and they looked right. tried the serial communications and everything looked normal. if i tried to do anything got a message that it was running.
looking for some suggestions to look at. have two more chips on order to make backups before I try anything else.
Alan
You've whole bunch of funnies going on there Alan, very odd isn't it.

I wonder if you could clarify a few points as they might help:

".... no data from the network...." which network do you mean and how were you checking?
".... i get a ttyusb0 not connected message now......." Is there anything of relevance if you do the Openplotter system check?
".... tried the serial communications and everything looked normal" I'm not sure what you mean here.
(2023-07-13, 07:30 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: You've whole bunch of funnies going on there Alan, very odd isn't it.

".... no data from the network...." which network do you mean and how were you checking?
".... i get a ttyusb0 not connected message now......." Is there anything of relevance if you do the Openplotter system check?
".... tried the serial communications and everything looked normal" I'm not sure what you mean here.

It is very odd. I'm inserting a pdf of what I did Wednesday. The network is the nema 2k, connected to the pi via an antisense ntg-1.

im not sure if there is a bug or two, or just learning mistakes.   see the attachment
.pdf   openplotter july 15 2023.pdf (Size: 549.1 KB / Downloads: 95)

I mentioned influxdb in the post. 

just to show the 7" screenshot see attachment name ending 14 40 05. shows much better (but faint)  on the laptop than the pi. for instance, the = line  to expand the screen is invisible to my eyesight on the pi. note,no data bucket showing in this screen.
14-41-19 shows the mybucket and signalk keys I created.
next shows the screen showing the buckets showing in influx. brutal on a 7" screen.

have not been able to get any further. no idea if the data is being saved or not. hopefully, i have the openploter stable and can concentrate on the influx.

Attached Files Image(s)

Alan please see my response to the first issues. comments in red.

You may need to set the write privileges on your log directory. <<<<<<<<<<<<< Edit

I'll have a look at the influx stuff when I can.

All the best

Attached Files
.pdf   Serp1.pdf (Size: 637.95 KB / Downloads: 79)
To check you're saving data then you'll see historical data in your dashboard panels. You can also use the Data Explorer in influxdb which is handy if you want to offload, save and manipulate the historical data. Here is an example displaying my BMP280 temperature history:

It's recorded in OP as one of my data items to be stored.

Go into Data Explorer, set up the query filters and press Submit

Select the time period you want the data for, here I am asking for the last 30 days, then press the CSV download icon. 

You'll get a csv file containing the data influxdb has for that sensor for the time period. You can manipulate the data as you wish, here I am selecting the time and value of the measurement along with the SK key. This extract shows data for a couple of days. 11th and 15th July.

(2023-07-15, 04:38 PM)amckeown Wrote:
(2023-07-13, 07:30 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: You've whole bunch of funnies going on there Alan, very odd isn't it.

It is very odd. I'm inserting a pdf of what I did Wednesday. The network is the nema 2k, connected to the pi via an antisense ntg-1.

im not sure if there is a bug or two, or just learning mistakes.   see the attachment

I mentioned influxdb in the post. 

just to show the 7" screenshot see attachment name ending 14 40 05. shows much better (but faint)  on the laptop than the pi. for instance, the = line  to expand the screen is invisible to my eyesight on the pi. note,no data bucket showing in this screen.
14-41-19 shows the mybucket and signalk keys I created.
next shows the screen showing the buckets showing in influx. brutal on a 7" screen.

have not been able to get any further. no idea if the data is being saved or not. hopefully, i have the openploter stable and can concentrate on the influx.
Thanks very much.
can certainly add the / at the end of the data line. too many years of dos and widows where it wouldn't be needed.
Just gets weirder. Had quite the failure today.
see attachment. after the signalk  failure, im wondering about connectivity to the internet even on the cell phone. sure looks like there was a communication failure trying to download updates.  May have to bring it home to download things. maybe start all over.

thanks very much for your help.

Attached Files
.docx   july 16 2023 openplotter.docx (Size: 390.65 KB / Downloads: 81)
Alan

You definitely have a network connectivity issue, here is what I would try:

1. Forget updating anything while at the boat, do you really need to update signal k for instance? I'd be focussed on getting a stable base before changing anything.
2. The OpenCPN connections page could well reveal something useful so a sight of it will be handy.
3. Remove the two separate lines in Serial for the actisense and make just a single new one with both alias and connection.

A couple of other items:
Do you use the Pi's onboard wifi adapter to connect to the outside world or do you have an additional USB wifi device?
What do you use the sk-to-nmea0183 plug in for?
Do you keep the Pi powered on in the boat all the time?
(2023-07-17, 09:18 AM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: Alan

You definitely have a network connectivity issue, here is what I would try:

1. Forget updating anything while at the boat, do you really need to update signal k for instance? I'd be focussed on getting a stable base before changing anything.
2. The OpenCPN connections page could well reveal something useful so a sight of it will be handy.
3. Remove the two separate lines in Serial for the actisense and make just a single new one with both alias and connection.

A couple of other items:
Do you use the Pi's onboard wifi adapter to connect to the outside world or do you have an additional USB wifi device?
What do you use the sk-to-nmea0183 plug in for?
Do you keep the Pi powered on in the boat all the time?

Thanks very much.
sk-nema0183. originally i had anted to try something, not going to for this year. so I can delete it.
I use the pi's wifi adapter for internet .
will get you a screenshot of the connections next time I'm at the boat.
Yes the pi is powered all the time. it has the picanm hat to get power from the boats nema2k network. Want it on all the time as a logger for the weather data I try to collect.
Alan
OK, thanks

I use the pi's wifi adapter for internet .  Do you use it as an AP as well as for external connectivity?
will get you a screenshot of the connections next time I'm at the boat.  That might be useful (OpenCPN connections)
Yes the pi is powered all the time.  You might want to consider setting up a regular reboot to see if that prevents the lock up that you mention
(2023-07-17, 05:52 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: OK, thanks

I use the pi's wifi adapter for internet .  Do you use it as an AP as well as for external connectivity?
will get you a screenshot of the connections next time I'm at the boat.  That might be useful (OpenCPN connections)
Yes the pi is powered all the time.  You might want to consider setting up a regular reboot to see if that prevents the lock up that you mention

PI's wifi. Not being used as an external conductivity at the moment. Might use it if I had the laptop with me and wanted to use opencpn on the laptop.
a regular reboot might be a good idea. didn't know it could be done. The pi has had a lock up issue for about 4 years.

Alan