This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pi5 - Possibly end of October
Hi All and thanks to the developers for all their hard work.
I'll be installing Openplotter in the boat in the next week or so, I've got it all working (Pi4b with GPS, Engine Temp, Gyro compass) on the workbench and it's looking great ! Now I'm thinking of backups and spare parts. I was going to buy a spare Pi but then I saw the Pi5 for about the same price as the Pi4b... I know the software will not be the same but the thought of a faster processor has me wondering if it's the way to go..
Any ideas... Anyone?
Cheers!
Hi, The difference between the Pi3 and Pi4 was quite significant, in particular the increase in memory. Once you get setup, its not too difficult to copy settings and plug-ins from one to the other. I think if I were buying another one, I would go with a Pi5. I've not had one hardware failure so far.
A bit disappointed with new Pi5... Prise is no so high but features could be better...
(2023-11-13, 09:17 AM)Boatingbaileys Wrote: Hi, The difference between the Pi3 and Pi4 was quite significant, in particular the increase in memory. Once you get setup, its not too difficult to copy settings and plug-ins from one to the other. I think if I were buying another one, I would go with a Pi5. I've not had one hardware failure so far.

Thanks Boatingbaileys for that info. I went to get a Pi5 and they were all sold out so I got a Pi4b 4GB which runs noticeably smoother than the 1GB version I originally had and hasn't fallen over (yet) unlike the 1GB version that sometimes froze up while panning and zooming on raster charts.
Cheers !
I had the same issues with my Pi3. It would just run out of memory.
Will there be a new power module for the HAT for Pi5, or does the current one have enough power to drive it?
https://www.makeuseof.com/raspberry-pi-5...omparison/

and

https://all3dp.com/2/orange-pi-5-orange-...ifference/
Just for those who have already Rasberry Pi5 board and wish to make some tests: https://www.tomshardware.com/raspberry-p...-nvme-base
In someone's mind, the answer could be a solution for remotely monitoring and controlling Victron devices via Bluetooth. They might consider factors like ease of use, compatibility with their devices, and the ability to access real-time data for efficient management of their energy systems.
fm whatsapp download