This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Switching OP3 to headless
Hi everyone, I just wiped my old openplotter 2 and installed openplotter 3. All works great but I cannot find the config button anymore where I would switch it to headless. I had monitor connected to pi4 during setup but once on the boat I will not have a screen. Could someone please tell me how to switch it to headless?

Thank you.
I am puzzled as to why you have Openplotter running on a boat with no screen. How do you display charts etc? What do you expect Openplotter to do for you if you have no display?
(2023-12-06, 07:48 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: I am puzzled as to why you have Openplotter running on a boat with no screen. How do you display charts etc? What do you expect Openplotter to do for you if you have no display?

I connect to signal-K server through the wifi from a tablet.
Ah so you do have a screen. To drive the pi (if that's what you're using) natively the you can enable VNC on the pi and install VNC connect on the tablet. Otherwise if your tablet is already set up to receive signalk data from Openplotter then OpenCPN should be able to see and display that data. If you had a working set up in OPv2 I am surprised it doesn't just work with v3.

Do you have OpenCPN on the tablet?
(2023-12-06, 07:57 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: Ah so you do have a screen. To drive the pi (if that's what you're using) natively the you can enable VNC on the pi and install VNC connect on the tablet. Otherwise if your tablet is already set up to receive signalk data from Openplotter then OpenCPN should be able to see and display that data. If you had a working set up in OPv2 I am surprised it doesn't just work with v3.

Do you have OpenCPN on the tablet?

Now I am very confused....I have pi4 with PICAN-M hat interface. I dont use OpenCPN charts at all. PICAN hat was configured as MCP2515 device. I also had SK server with dashboard to display the data. I used to access SK data from an android tablet using http://10.0.0.1:3000.

Am I using openplotter incorrect?

I just thought that since I dont need the "desktop" i would turn it off to free up the resources. Should I not do that?
Let me try to unravel this.

"Desktop" isn't really something that you need to turn off so don't worry about that.

A few questions:

Are you trying to connect your tablet to the pi via the latter's AP?
If so have you set up the AP credentials on the pi and in the tablet?
Where do you get the 10.0.0.1 address from?
(2023-12-06, 08:45 PM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: Let me try to unravel this.

"Desktop" isn't really something that you need to turn off so don't worry about that.

A few questions:

Are you trying to connect your tablet to the pi via the latter's AP?
If so have you set up the AP credentials on the pi and in the tablet?
Where do you get the 10.0.0.1 address from?

pi is setup as access point (on board). ntf filter is off.
yes, wifi connects just fine.
The address is actually 10.10.10.1 (sorry for the wrong IP before). This address is defined in the Network Preferences for wlan. I dont recall setting it myself.
You are correct that the 10.10.10.1 address is set by default.

What happens if you type 10.10.10.1:3000 into your browser on the tablet? Your post #5 mentions this but doesn't say what happens when you try.
When I go the URL i get SK page with login, etc. No issues there as far as I can tell.
My original question was about possibly leaving the CLI only and turning off xorg/X server to free up limited resources on the pi4. Along with this lxpanel (my guess is something used by VNC) uses about 3% of the memory.

Again, i am not solving any specific problem. Just trying to maximize limited pi resources for the services i need.
I'm sorry! I have misunderstood what you're looking for. It seems you just want to disable the GUI interface? That is quite different from headless, even a headless build has the GUI enabled so that remote access is possible via VNC etc.

OK if you run sudo raspi-config>1 System Options>S5 Boot / Autologin>B2 Console autologin>OK then reboot is should start without the GUI interface.