This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 beta image
Thanks Sean,
I'm going to test it but can't go to the boat for a day or two
Hello everyone,

I have a strange problem with the current beta image (24.1.2024):
After the first start and login via the SSID "pypilot" I change the WLAN configuration to "managed" to assign Pypilot to an existing WLAN.
Unfortunately, Pypilot does not join another WLAN. I have tried several SSIDs on 3 different routers, taking care to write the SSID in lower case only, for example. I have completely removed the encryption and I have tried the whole thing with 2 different Raspi Zero W.
On the same Raspis with the same WLAN, a Tinypilot with the image from 16.11.2021 logs in without any problems.

Is this problem known and is there a solution?

By the way, I am very excited to see that the new image now offers the possibility to create configuration profiles. This is another reason why I would love to have it running for the next season ;-)

Best regards

Michael

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
Hello Sean
I haven't had time to test the latest version on the boat yet, but I checked the wifi connection at home with a pi zero W.
Even with the pypilot SSID, wifi connection becomes impossible by adding a password.
Best regards
I tried to reproduce this.   I managed to connect as a client to 2 different networks, one encrypted the other not.    Is there any chance you can try the default "mars" with given code?   I will change this to openplotter for release.

What happens if you switch it to client mode, and power cycle a few seconds after and see if when it reboots it connects?

Also,  try the AP + client mode.   In this mode if you can, ssh in as a client and check the /var/log/dhcpcd/current and /var/log/wpa_supplicant/current  log files for hints.  

If you still cant get it to connect maybe try a keyboard and hdmi and check those log files for hints??

I was able to add a code to encrypt the network and it worked...

Finally, I did find an issue when changing to client and back to ap mode (not ap+client) and this too me about 3 hours to work out by editing /opt/networking.sh and adding the line:

route add -net 192.168.14.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev $INTERFACE

into the end of /opt/networking.sh before fi   seemed to fix issues with AP mode
Code:
    chpst -utc tce-load -i dnsmasq
    mkdir -p /var/lib/misc
    sv u dnsmasq

route add -net 192.168.14.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev $INTERFACE
fi
but must run "filetool.sh -b" to preserve it

Without this, you would have to power cycle to switch back to AP only mode.

I found a few other minor issues and fixed them (like the lease display and lcd menu for toggling ap/client mode if you are stuck), but not related to wifi working.

(2024-01-27, 11:54 PM)MarineW29 Wrote:
(2023-12-27, 10:11 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: I am still attempting a final release for pi zero boards  (pi core 9)  after which I will shortly be moving to pi core 13.

Hi Sean,
When do you plan to have a stable image of tinypilot based on piCore 13.1.0 or above, which can support Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W ?
I bought a  Raspberry Pi Zero W, but they sent me the version 2, and it took me a while to understand why it didn't boot at all (same problem as described here).
Thanks

There is stelian's image, but it is getting old.     I plan to switch to this and update everything.   There will not be more  development on picore 9, only bugfixs.    It is just,  many years has proven the reliability of picore 9 and so I want to make a final release on it.  Also the infrared control doesnt work on it, and I never did figure out why, but the onboard arduino can at least decode it instead of the raspberry.

I am continuing the unstable branch and it will target this from there on.   There are a lot of future developments planned.
(2024-02-01, 10:13 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: Is there any chance you can try the default "mars" with given code?

Hello Sean,

I followed your advice and set a router to the Pypilot client wifi data (SSID mars and secrets)
On a newly installed image, I logged in using the Pypilot SSID, then switched to client in the configuration and entered the mars WLAN data.

This worked, Pypilot joined the mars-WLAN and I was able to open the Pypilot web configuration page after logging in.

Then I tried to enter "my" standard WLAN. This no longer worked, the Raspi Zero W does not log in.
Even resetting networking.txt to the data of the mars WLAN does not help, no connection is possible.

I can still try to read out the log files. But how do I get to the /var/log folder? The folder is not visible on a Linux computer that I use. I can't see the folder on the Zero W console either. But I'm really not a Linux expert either...
So much for my attempts...

Cheers Michael

ps: Found a way to find the logs...

Attached Files
.pdf   tinypilot_logs_moe ap+client.pdf (Size: 14.99 KB / Downloads: 57)
So to be clear, it works with the access point "mars", but the same router with your usual SSID does not work?

the log shows:
2023-04-12_11:00:57.79404 wlan0: probing address 192.168.8.208/24
2023-04-12_11:01:02.68481 wlan0: leased 192.168.8.208 for 43200 seconds

So it did work?? Are you sure it did not connect? Nothing has really changed since the previous image regarding networking except that I added AP+client mode. Does that work? Can you run in AP+client mode and still connect to the AP?

Then can you run "ifconfig" "iwconfig" and "route" and check the output if it connected or not? It seems very strange, there must be some inconsistency. You could let me know your normal SSID and psk? or send by pm or? Maybe a special character doesnt work.
Hi Sean,

it works just for one time. After changing from „ap“ (pypilot)  to „managed“ or „managed“ plus „ap“ with mars, it works. at this time I stored the logs.
after changing the SSID to my usual SSID „HellaWlan“ pypilot doesn‘t log in. I tried to change SSID to hellawlan without any reaction.

My password is simple just with letters in normal ASCII. Even when I switch back to SSID mars, it doesn‘t work again. No log in.
And at this time I have no chance to find any logs, I tried to read the sd-card with another linux computer, as I told.

The same hardware setting with the older tinypilot image from 2021 works without problems. Same router, same SSID, same password, same raspi…only thing changes is another sd-card…
but if you reboot it connects at boot as a client to your ssid again? Any possibility you could do more testing, and change to AP+client and try to connect to your network. If it doesnt work, connect to it as an access point,and run "iwconfig" "ifconfig" and "route -n" and post the results if possible, along with the logs.

Can you see if it gets an IP address from the router, but doesnt ping?

It makes no sense that it can connect to mars but not hellawlan, so there is something very odd there. Can you really confirm this?
It looks like I was able to solve the problem. It was due to the encryption. My standard router with the SSD HellaWlan has the entry WPA2/PSK for the encryption algorithm.
This does not work with Tinypilot.
I have now changed the test router to WPA/PSK and it is now working.
Perhaps it would be a good idea to change the configuration of TinyPilot so that current encryption methods can also be selected. As far as I know, when current routers are used on board, they are usually set to WPA2 or WPA3 by default

(2024-02-01, 11:46 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: but if you reboot it connects at boot as a client to your ssid again?    Any possibility you could do more testing, and change to AP+client and try to connect to your network.  If it doesnt work,  connect to it as an access point,and run "iwconfig" "ifconfig" and "route -n" and post the results if possible, along with the logs.

Can you see if it gets an IP address from the router, but doesnt ping?

It makes no sense that it can connect to mars but not  hellawlan, so there is something very odd there.  Can you really confirm this?

Hello 
My tablet does not allow me to choose the encryption mode. To be able to connect to the pypilot web, I had to remove the SSID connection from the tablet. By recreating it and re-entering the password, I can connect to the pypilot server normally.