This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 beta image
I am using WPA2/PSK on my access point. It should work with WPA2. Further, the older images were no different. I am still a bit confused.

Now if you can confirm your access point is WPA3, then perhaps that would explain it. Otherwise, maybe there are some other parameters you could put in wpa_supplicant.conf to make it work and if so I would like to somehow update the setup so it can use those, but it doesnt explain your earlier comment "On the same Raspis with the same WLAN, a Tinypilot with the image from 16.11.2021 logs in without any problems."
Hello Sean,

I have tested and tried some more. The result is that WPA2 also works as you described. My standard router that I used before obviously doesn't work properly, maybe the firmware (DD-WRT) is too old, I don't know. In any case, it doesn't work on this router.
With my test router, which will also be used on my boat, everything works fine.
I'm a little contrite for taking up your time. I apologize for that.

And I'm looking forward to testing the new TinyPilot version with the profiles on board.

Cheers

Michael

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
If you can find wpa_supplicant.conf settings that do work with your router, I can improve the image to make it support this.

I will push a new image soon, but the improvements are slight.
Hello Sean,

I tried the Pypilot 0.45 version at sea and I really like it. Everything works perfectly. The ergonomics of tacking and the concept of setting profiles are brilliant.

I find that with one or more radio remote controls, there is absolutely no need for a display and/or buttons in the cockpit. My weather vane no longer works and I haven't tested the wind mode but I don't think anything has been changed.

Thank you so much.
(2024-02-04, 03:25 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: If you can find wpa_supplicant.conf settings that do work with your router,  I can improve the image to make it support this.

I did some more tests with my standard router. It turned out that I had only set the frequency in 2.4Ghz-WLAN to 20Mhz. There was also some port forwarding, but this is not really relevant.
I have now changed the WLAN frequency to 20/40Mhz and Tinypilot now also connects to my standard router. Maybe it was related to that.

It is also possible that the Tinypilot's WLAN country default in the wpa_supplicant to US in my WLAN network has led to irritations and overlaps with other WLANs in the vicinity. I changed this to DE because my router lives there.

After that, there were no more connection problems with either router. But I can't verify with certainty whether this is really the reason.

It could also be that the many WLANs around me are transmitting on similar channels and this is causing interference. On a boat, this is only relevant in the harbor. And you don't need an autopilot there.

I finally installed the beta to solve some connection problems and I continue having them:
- Usually at the beginning all connects ok and the pings and ssh to tinypilot work
- Sometimes it gets disconnected and then I must wait quite some time to reconnect.

PING 192.168.1.3 (192.168.1.3): 56 data bytes
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

arp 192.168.1.3
? (192.168.1.3) at (incomplete) on en1 ifscope [ethernet]

Forcing then the arp table it works:

sudo arp -s 192.168.1.3 b8:27:eb:df:89:d4
arp 192.168.1.3
? (192.168.1.3) at b8:27:eb:df:89:d4 on en1 permanent [ethernet]

ping 192.168.1.3
PING 192.168.1.3 (192.168.1.3): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.1.3: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=11.366 ms

Connection to WiFi is OK

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr B8:27:EBBig GrinF:89Big Grin4
inet addr:192.168.1.3 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fdc6:d547:5dad:0:ba27:ebff:fedf:89d4/64 Scope:Global
inet6 addr: 2a0d:3344:2394:1400:ba27:ebff:fedf:89d4/64 Scope:Global
inet6 addr: fe80::ba27:ebff:fedf:89d4/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"elrond"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: E0:63Big GrinA:B4:69Big Grin8
Bit Rate=72.2 Mb/s Tx-Power=31 dBm
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:on
Link Quality=70/70 Signal level=-37 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

I modified /opt/wpa_supplicant.conf to set the country code to ES (I am in Spain and the routers are configured as ES) but no change

I am using the tinypilot_beta_2024_01_14.img tha I think is the last.
last year I had similar problems on my boat independent of Pypilot. The WLAN was unreliable and I also had problems with GPS reception.
The reason was cheap, poorly shielded USB3 cables. Cheap connectors to SSDs can also cause such effects.
Maybe this will help you?
(2024-02-05, 11:34 AM)Moeritsen Wrote: I did some more tests with my standard router. It turned out that I had only set the frequency in 2.4Ghz-WLAN to 20Mhz. There was also some port forwarding, but this is not really relevant.
I have now changed the WLAN frequency to 20/40Mhz and Tinypilot now also connects to my standard router. Maybe it was related to that.
I do not understand 20/40Mhz. I thought it was 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. If a specific router setting helped it would be good to know.
Quote:After that, there were no more connection problems with either router. But I can't verify with certainty whether this is really the reason.

It could also be that the many WLANs around me are transmitting on similar channels and this is causing interference. On a boat, this is only relevant in the harbor. And you don't need an autopilot there.

I could certainly give the option for country code to use. I will look at it. Also another possibility is to set the wifi channel. This is only for access point mode, and by default I use channel 6. As I understand it, there are only really 3 channels (1, 6 and 11) the rest would overlap somehow. I also recall the initial pi 4 did not work on channel 1 anyway, so that is the reason for using channel 6 so that openplotter or other raspberry pi4 could connect. It would be certainly possible to implement the wifi channel in the wifi configuration web interface.
(2024-02-06, 10:13 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: I do not understand 20/40Mhz.  I thought it was 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz.  If a specific router setting helped it would be good to know.

This parameter means channel width, as I understand, it is a value, how much a WiFi channel will interfere with its neighbour channels. It is explained here: I do not understand 20/40Mhz. I thought it was 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. If a specific router setting helped it would be good to know.

(2024-02-06, 10:13 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: I could certainly give the option for country code to use.    I will look at it.  Also another possibility is to set the wifi channel.  This is only for access point mode, and by default I use channel 6.  As I understand it, there are only really 3 channels (1, 6 and 11)  the rest would overlap somehow.  I also recall the initial pi 4 did not work on channel 1 anyway, so that is the reason for using channel 6 so that openplotter or other raspberry pi4 could connect.    It would be certainly possible to implement the wifi channel in the wifi configuration web interface.

The possibility of setting chennales and country code would be great to help avoiding possible problems with a specific setup. Thank you very much for your work!!!

Hi Sean,

There is another issue that could perhaps be improved.
The web control screen only shows parts when Tinypilot is set to standby.

When Tinypilot is switched on, everything is wonderful.

I tested with an iPad and a 12 inch ms-surface, see screenshots.

(2024-02-06, 09:59 AM)Moeritsen Wrote: last year I had similar problems on my boat independent of Pypilot. The WLAN was unreliable and I also had problems with GPS reception.
The reason was cheap, poorly shielded USB3 cables. Cheap connectors to SSDs can also cause such effects.
Maybe this will help you?

Now I am testing at home. Yes there are some networks at home. Will try to shut them down and see but everything else (computers, pi running home automation, small esp8266 and esp32 )works. Also it seems somewhat related to letting the pi with the accelerometers too static. Usually after I move it will regain connections faster.