This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IMU Installation
I have doubts about the physical position of the IMU. I am worried about the magnetometer. If I install the IMU vertical, I understand that when I say in Calibration that the boat is “flat” PyPilot will take anything into account and convert magnetic and intertial values according. The question is if really all 3 axis are interchangeable or there are some preferred axis.

Second question is if I it is correct to put the motor controller and the TinyPilot / IMU in the same box cm away one from the other or I must let some more space so the currents in the controller don’t affect the magentomer.

Actual installation (A Simrad autopilot broken Sad) has the “Junction box” near the hydraulic pump and the magnetometer about 1 mt away.

Thanks
Technically certain axes are slightly more sensitive with most inertial sensors. This is not really a big issue though. You do need to "level" the boat once the sensors are mounted.

If the motor controller is right next to the compass sensors, it can influence them which is a bad thing. Current carrying wires generated magnetic fields. You can potentially run the pypilot_scope and check the compass readings while manually controlling the motor to see how much deviation there is.
(2024-02-18, 06:52 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: Technically certain axes are slightly more sensitive with most inertial sensors.    This is not really a big issue though.  You do need to "level" the boat once the sensors are mounted.

If the motor controller is right next to the compass sensors, it can influence them which is a bad thing.    Current carrying wires generated magnetic fields.    You can potentially run the pypilot_scope and check the compass readings while manually controlling the motor to see how much deviation there is.

Thanks will check