This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
nano to pi connections
Hi all

I'm implementing openplotter and pypilot in a 42 foot steel yacht with a hydraulic autopilot. The nano/ibt-2 and pi will be 5M apart.

I need help with connection between the nano and pi and connecting a NEO-6M gps to the pi.

Power supply:
I plan to use an LM2596 connected to the 5V pin of the nano. Should 5V from the same LM2596 also run the pi or do I need another LM2596?

Serial data:
Can I use cat6 cable between the nano and pi?.

GPS:
Is the NEO-6M up to the job? If so how do I connect a NEO-6M gps to the pi, if not whats the best alternative.

IMU:
Ive got an ICM20948 on the way. I plan to mount this on top of the cabin. Can I use cat6 to connect to the pi?

Thanks for your time?
Hi Steve, I use cat5 for an ICM, but changed the wiring a little bit - see here >
https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread....4#pid25584

For gps I use a cheap ublox 7 usb one, have it mounted in a little plastic box by the main hatch as I'm also on a steel boat. Never gets turned off & has been fine for a few years now.

LM2596 might be a bit on the small side, Sean would know more, but these seem to be popular, lots on ebay >
[Image: eEf9eBb.png]