This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OpenPlotter 4 roadmap
(2024-03-31, 12:51 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Added digital inputs/outputs to openplotter-gpio v4.

Tested on RPI 4 & 5. It uses gpiod instead of pigpio or RPi.GPIO or GPIO Zero.

CiaoSailog, for what it's worth, this is my config. on the desk. 

And everything seems ok!

OP4 on PI5 - McArthur+ ssd + Sean's tynipilot

Buona Pasqua e Good wind, always!

Wink  OP4
(2024-03-09, 11:37 AM)Loffy Wrote:
(2024-03-09, 10:46 AM)Boatingbaileys Wrote: Hi Loffy, I have done the same setup and I’m about to release a video of this setup at 10am today (15mins). The basic process is to flash the sd card and then use the sd card copier to move the image to the SSD. A couple of changes on the pi config and it just works.

It’s extremely fast on a pi5 and I think it’s the best combination you can build at the moment. Add a MacArthur hat and it’s a very powerful platform.

Boatingbaileys,

Many thanks.

As it happens, I already have a MacArthur HAT installed, and additionallyI have been a subscriber to your Youtube channel for around 6 months or so. I have just now seen a notification re the video. I will view that in the next couple of days (It is late here now in Australia (and hot), and I have a commitment tomorrow).

At the moment, my MacArthur HAT has limited (GPS and compass) sensors hardwired directly to the Pi5 simply routed through the HAT via GPIO pins. I am slowly working toward proving a concept for a slightly more complex project (though not unachievable).

I should be happy to download the latest OpenPlotter4 Beta image after I absorb your video.

Regards,
Loffy

I have now loaded the latest beta versions of the touchscreen openplotter app. It seemed to install okay.

Here is my problem:
- I have a Pi5, Pimoroni NVME, MacArthur hat, and a GPS/compass sensor wired up directly through the 40 pin connector (GPS TX and RX plus i2C for the compass). (Hat connections will happen later).
- I tested the "direct" wiring via the Linux screen app prior to downloading the OpenPlotter4 beta image. The GPS was working fine, and it displayed the correct location of the PI5 with a HDOP of 0.9. Given that the Pi was indoors I was happy.
- After installing OpenPlotter4 I cannot see the "boat" gps position on the chart. Moving the cursor shows a valid position on the toolbar at the bottom of the chart.

Any ideas?
Is the issue that the GPIO app is still under development?
Is there any documentation anywhere that can help (especially re GPIO)? I tried to lookup "read the docs" for version 3, but the GPIO and i2C section was very sparse; just placeholders.
Anything that I should do?

Loffy
You are connecting a GPS by UART, not by GPIO, so you need to config that using the serial app, not the GPIO app: https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...l_app.html
(2024-03-31, 12:18 AM)tsr Wrote: There is one remaining issue: I can't set up NetworkManager to disable WPA for the AP so clients (rightfully) complain about the insecure connection. Not a problem while under way Smile, but when in a marina people might be tempted to try their luck, for example https://github.com/david-palma/wifi-cracking
Hostapd (openplotter-settings) still had an important advantage.

Found a solution! It's unfortunately not something that can be solved with the neat network manager GUI, but the CLI helps:

$ sudo nmcli con modify <APSSID> 802-11-wireless-security.proto rsn 
$ sudo nmcli con modify <APSSID> 802-11-wireless-security.pairwise ccmp

You probably need to restart (network manager) or disable and enable the connection for this to take effect. But afterwards (modern android) clients no longer complain about the WiFi having weak security.

Thanks for the help everyone!
I’m still finding issues I guess with the Broadcom drivers. Sometimes the esp and even my phone won’t connect, a few disconnects and reconnects with the manage and it works. I don’t have issues with a small usb WiFi dongle some I’m guessing this is is related.

I might try the above but I’m not sure it’s security settings.
(2024-04-01, 12:28 PM)Sailoog Wrote: You are connecting a GPS by UART, not by GPIO, so you need to config that using the serial app, not the GPIO app: https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...l_app.html

(2024-04-01, 12:28 PM)Sailoog Wrote: You are connecting a GPS by UART, not by GPIO, so you need to config that using the serial app, not the GPIO app: https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...l_app.html

Sailoog,

Thanks. The GPS is working now. I am having an issue with the compass in i2c. When I go to add a sensor, I can see that the address of 0xd has been detected. I select that address in the "detected address" box, then go to the "supported sensors" drop box and scroll through these. There are 12 sensors listed, though none appear to be for a magnetic compass. (I checked both on the internet and by adding each sensor one-by-one and checking what they do: nothing looking like a compass).

Am I missing something?
Will a compass sensor be added eventually?
Is there a problem here?

I could try wiring via the MacArthur hat, though I don't see a difference if the i2c has sensed the SDA/SCL pins on the 40-pin connector.

Regards, Loffy
OP4 question, is it possible to get UARTs to receive NMEA0183 TTL @ 3.3v?
Then might allow use of rs232/ttl adaptors powered by 3.3v.
Think it might just need the logic inverted.
[Image: ZNZ4Iqe.png]
Hello,

I've set an 8gp rPi 5 with MacArthur HAT with good results, but have a few holes that I'm seeing answers too after looking through months of thread entries

Works well- rPi 5 with 1 tb nvme, MacArthur HAT,
I2C INA219 shunt monitors, 20 ma loop monitors for lots

Signal K, Open CPN, KIP

Hello,

I've set an rPi 5 with MacArthur HAT and OP 4 with good results, but have some questions I'm not seeing answers to after looking through months of thread entries.

My system is
Hardware: rPi 5 with 1 tb nvme, MacArthur HAT, USB GPS
Software modules: Signal K, Open CPN, KIP dashboard
I2C Sensors: INA219 shunt monitors, 20 ma loop monitors for lots, relay board
1W sensors - 6 temperatures for engine, fridge etc

Working on: Node Red, AIS 0183 connects to a Standard Horizon GX-2100 and NMEA 2K

The OpenPlotter YouTubers seem to use a separate ESP32 or Arduino solution for sensors. With all sensors running on the rPi 5, Open CPN pans and zooms fast. Does the faster speed of the rPi 5 make using a separate ESP32 or Arduino not necessary ? The ESP32 or Arduino flexibility of input scaling or linearization can be done in the rPi. I've done non boating ESP32 and Arduino products in my work and already have the hardware if this is truly a better solution.

Pypilot is highly spoken of. Is the update of Pypilot to rPi 5 likely in the next few months ? Next year ?

Thanks Michael
(2024-03-31, 12:51 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Added digital inputs/outputs to openplotter-gpio v4.

Tested on RPI 4 & 5. It uses gpiod instead of pigpio or RPi.GPIO or GPIO Zero.

I've just tested with a bilge alarm, connected to the ST1 input. Works perfectly  Smile
Has anyone had the can connection freezing after a couple of days? Been onboard just over a week now and it seems to do it every couple of days. My other data is working fine from 1wire, Victron, temp sensors but can seems to stop. Any commands I can run to try and figure out why?