This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OpenPlotter 4 roadmap
Have you forced 2.4 and also set the wlan address, basically every you can set you have? Have you also set an IP address range and gateway? Lastly try the delete method and start again.
(2024-03-06, 06:12 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Installed Can bus from openplotter settings: "added 3 packages, and audited 4 packages in 2s"

Corrupted SD? full SD? Internet hiccups in your area? bad connection? just brainstorming...

SD: 14 G free.
Internet is fine; see wifi speed above.
I can update - full upgrade, 104 kB/s, and build O from source wo obstacles.

Two other Rpi's on the same wifi, Openplotter 3, are updating normally.

Someone below suggested remove a config file. If that was to me? whitch config file please?
HI!

I just bought a Pi5 8GB, installed it the OP4 Beta Starting and I could manage to have GPS from USB Gps. All fine
Now I have tried to use the Moitessier hat2, which I have running every day in my PI4 but  it doesn't work connected to PI5: it doesn't light the lights and in Signal K says there's no incoming activity.

Just as a reminder; I do all the steps in the docs for hacking the moitessier hat:
  • In serial settings,  I activate the UART0, get the message that I  will lose BT connection ( BUt I still have it, maybe this is aclue) I restart  PI and then, I get 2 connected devices: TTYAMA0 and TTYAMA10. (but nothing else is connected at the time) (??)
  • In the serial devices tab, I create an alias  for  TTYAMA0, as  nmea0183 data, 
  • Then apply, 
  • then in Connections tab, I make a connection of that device to Signal K with the right bauds 921600,  
  • Signal K restarts and in the SK dashboard I can see that the connection has been created, wih no activity and  and connection and plugin status  is green and connected
  • All correct as per instructions, I already did it for OP3 in my PI4!

The problem is that in the PI5, there is no activity at all and no lights in the pcb of the hat ( in PI4 the lights are on as soon as the PI starts). I installed it back to the PI4 and it is working as usual, si the HAT is fine.

What am I missing?

Has anybody used the Moitessier HAt in the PI5? Or should I leave it for impossible for now until OP4 is released?

Thanks!!!
I am a newbie, and I am looking ahead to OpenPlotter4.
My Pi5 has a Pimoroni SSD mounted underneath.

Will the stable release image of OpenPlotter4 be able to be installed on my SSD rather than on the less reliable SD?

I have found a thread titled "How to set up to boot OpenPlotter from an SSD disk" going back to 2018, though the processes outlined don't look straight-forward.

Any comment? No rush.

Regards,
Loffy
Hi Loffy, I have done the same setup and I’m about to release a video of this setup at 10am today (15mins). The basic process is to flash the sd card and then use the sd card copier to move the image to the SSD. A couple of changes on the pi config and it just works.

It’s extremely fast on a pi5 and I think it’s the best combination you can build at the moment. Add a MacArthur hat and it’s a very powerful platform.
(2024-03-09, 10:46 AM)Boatingbaileys Wrote: Hi Loffy, I have done the same setup and I’m about to release a video of this setup at 10am today (15mins). The basic process is to flash the sd card and then use the sd card copier to move the image to the SSD. A couple of changes on the pi config and it just works.

It’s extremely fast on a pi5 and I think it’s the best combination you can build at the moment. Add a MacArthur hat and it’s a very powerful platform.

Boatingbaileys,

Many thanks.

As it happens, I already have a MacArthur HAT installed, and additionallyI have been a subscriber to your Youtube channel for around 6 months or so. I have just now seen a notification re the video. I will view that in the next couple of days (It is late here now in Australia (and hot), and I have a commitment tomorrow).

At the moment, my MacArthur HAT has limited (GPS and compass) sensors hardwired directly to the Pi5 simply routed through the HAT via GPIO pins. I am slowly working toward proving a concept for a slightly more complex project (though not unachievable).

I should be happy to download the latest OpenPlotter4 Beta image after I absorb your video.

Regards,
Loffy
hello aitonos

You should be able to modify the moitessier to use another UART from the pi5.
Maybe use it standalone without HAT:
Standalone with only 3.3V, GND and the TXD Line of the Moitessier connected to RX of pi should work.

Be carefull - this is only TTL Voltage on the pins, so do not connect to the NMEA Lines from an Arthur HAT!
Later you could also use the I2C Sensors off the Moitessier.

Like you now i use the Hacked Moitessier 1 on an pi4 and it works fine.
(2024-03-09, 05:04 PM)holgerw Wrote: hello aitonos
You should be able to modify the moitessier to use another UART from the pi5.
Maybe use it standalone without HAT:
Standalone with only 3.3V, GND and the TXD Line of the Moitessier connected to RX of pi should work.
Be carefull - this is only TTL Voltage on the pins, so do not connect to the NMEA Lines from an Arthur HAT!
Later you could also use the I2C Sensors off the Moitessier.
Like you now i use the Hacked Moitessier 1 on an pi4 and it works fine.
Holgerw, thanks! I'm sure that it will be possible and it shouldn't be difficult, but I am fearful to touch anything without understanding. I don't want to fry my hat!

About you tip about how to connect it, is it an assumption, or is it an already tested advice?

Unless being very sure, for the moment, I will stick with my pi4 4GB, which works flawlessly now. And I just just made the NASA Clipper Depth convertor to NMEA0183, so I'm happpy now enjoying my DIY depth data! Smile

Thanks!
Yes, this is wise, leave the pi4 working.
And let the pi5 run ais-Catcher & rtl in bg.

Bye - Holger
(2024-03-10, 12:38 AM)holgerw Wrote: Yes, this is wise, leave the pi4 working.
And let the pi5 run ais-Catcher & rtl in bg.

Bye - Holger

Thanks Holger. 

I just learned yesterday about AIS catcher. Will study it. 

Thanks!