OpenMarine

Full Version: Compass and IMU data unstable
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I haven't installed the system into my boat yet as I'm still configuring it on my desk at home.

I have a Navio+ hat on a RPi 3 running 0.17.1 stable. The IMU is a MPU-9250.

Everything looks fine and with the device on the desk not moving and stable I get consistent readings from the compass and IMU (heading, heel & pitch).

Watching the output, occasionally the data will suddenly jump to very different readings. For example the pitch will change to 85, the roll changes to something in the order of -60 and the heading seems to go 180 to 200 degrees out.

It usually takes a few seconds to revert to the correct values and then will remain stable for a while but often will not revert.

To get correct reading again, I can restart the sensor from the compass tab or I can invoke the calibration.

I have read the documentation regarding the ongoing calibration and I wonder if it has something to do with this? That is, the degradation isn't slow - it is a sudden jump.

Is there any data that I can log or monitor to help debug this?