OpenMarine

Full Version: motor controller voltage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is the voltage of the rudder sensor? is it 0 to 5v or 0 to 3.3v. I have a  Hall Effect Angle Sensor Encoder
I assumed that it was 5 volt. I there any way to boost the voltage to 5V?
the motor controller has 3 wires for rudder feedback. 0v, rudder, 5v. I have never run one at 3.3v as the arduino uses 5 volts.
it was a bad hall effect sensor.. when i connected it i was reading 3.4 volts on the power pins and nothing on the output pin. I was just a little confused as the voltage drop put it in the 3.3 volt range and thought i missed something.
thanks. i printed a nice little piece that i epoxied to my pintle and i have just enough room to mount a 15mm sensor to it.
which sensor are you using? I used mlx90316 with success.
i am using this CALT Tiny Size Contactless Hall Effect Angle Sensor Encoder 360 3mm Shaft 15mm Outer Dia. it needs 5V and outputs 0 to 5v. I have a very small space to fit this. I might be able to go as large as 18 mm but that would be tight. Due to the dud i will have 2 so possible wind direction sensor.
This sounds like it works, but how much current does it need at 5v?
[attachment=977]
(2020-06-06, 04:45 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: [ -> ]This sounds like it works, but how much current does it need at 5v?

About 16mA
There is a limit of 62mA at 5v to prevent any damage if you short the 0 and 5v wire from the controller since 22mA needed by the controller, 16mA is still ok, but 40mA would not be.