This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Raspbian bug kills Moitessier HAT systems after upgrading to kernel 4.19.118
Exclamation 
Latest Raspbian kernel upgrade (4.19.118) has changed the I2C management and there is a bug that will prevent your computer from booting.

According to Raspberry developers this will be fixed on next kernel versions but they have not given a date.

If you have not installed the Moitessier HAT app in your OpenPlotter system ignore this and update the kernel normally.

These are our provisional solutions: https://www.rooco.eu/2018/06/13/firmware...ssier-hat/
There is another issue with 118 kernel: all GPS related messages are filtered out by the kernel module, although everything is enabled in the configuration. There is a patch available for this. Or is it only me experiencing this?
I do not think your problem is related to the kernel, please open a new post and we will see.
Temporary fix: https://www.rooco.eu/2018/06/13/firmware...ssier-hat/
(2020-06-22, 04:26 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Temporary fix: https://www.rooco.eu/2018/06/13/firmware...ssier-hat/

For clarification. If I follow step 4 in scenerio 2, I can then run an update of Raspberry Pi OS?

Specifically, after running "4. Install the bug fix: sudo moitessier/scripts/bug_fix_kernel_4.19.118 moitessier/dtbo/i2c-gpio_bug_fix_4.19.118.dtbo". I can then "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt full-upgrade"?

Before I do anything, I want to check. Also, what are the ramifications of this bug fix? Does anything else brake when this is done?
(2020-06-23, 12:22 PM)jamieFL Wrote:
(2020-06-22, 04:26 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Temporary fix: https://www.rooco.eu/2018/06/13/firmware...ssier-hat/

For clarification. If I follow step 4 in scenerio 2, I can then run an update of Raspberry Pi OS?

Specifically, after running "4. Install the bug fix: sudo moitessier/scripts/bug_fix_kernel_4.19.118 moitessier/dtbo/i2c-gpio_bug_fix_4.19.118.dtbo".  I can then "sudo apt update" and  "sudo apt full-upgrade"?

yes you can

(2020-06-23, 12:22 PM)jamieFL Wrote: Before I do anything, I want to check.  Also, what are the ramifications of this bug fix?  Does anything else brake when this is done?

apparently no
I followed option 2 and my Pi would no longer boot.  I edited config.txt as in option 1 and got it to boot, then updated again.  With the sudo apt full-upgrade I get this error:

Quote:******************************************************************************************
Determining I2C GPIO device
******************************************************************************************

******************************************************************************************
I2C GPIO device:

ERROR occured!!

No valid I2C GPIO device found

ERROR occured!!

You might try to install the package again.

dpkg: error processing package moitessier (--configure):
installed moitessier package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1

...and it still will not boot.
I don't know what is going on, but I formatted my SD, put a fresh image of OpenPlotter Moitessier HAT (no update at end of install), installed MCS, Updated all apps, rebooted. All good. I followed option 2 and got the same results as above. Same errors and my Pi will NOT boot.
(2020-06-28, 10:24 PM)jamieFL Wrote: I don't know what is going on, but I formatted my SD, put a fresh image of OpenPlotter Moitessier HAT (no update at end of install), installed MCS, Updated all apps, rebooted.  All good.  I followed option 2 and got the same results as above.  Same errors and my Pi will NOT boot.

Unfortunately I have to confirm that! I don't get it going according to the description
(2020-06-29, 06:36 PM)nebosa Wrote: Unfortunately I have to confirm that! I don't get it going according to the description

Thank you. At least I know that I probably didn't to anything wrong.